• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Night Fury

• Fleeingpepper

• MonteCarloDude

• Addicted to eaton

today my 96 lumina rolled over to 235000 and it will still give me the same 3second burnout on dry level pavement but it is lightly knocking but i think thats just the reaper calling the crank

Yep... Kinda like it's about to fall apart... :lol:

I had a Ciera with 35k and dear god it just made me cringe on cold mornings upon start-up

Well, a top swap really won't fix the problem. It's with the pistons. A 3400 top swap would be the way to go. It won't fix piston slap, but the 3400 intake has larger ports.

just started a couple of days ago after a hard run against my exgirlfriends loud mouth boy friend and his 4.0 ranger. but beat him by a door. go chevy 60 v6

Yay piston slap!

My Monte does it every cold startup, 184k miles. Goes away by the first stoplight down the street. Of course I've only had the car in warm weather we'll see how it sounds starting up after a -25* Minnesota winter night :)

There's one particular malibu at my work, low miles (~60k IIRC) that makes a GOD awful racket when it's cold. You'd swear on your life that it was ready to spit a rod out the oil pan.

120+K on mine, figure I'll get to 250-ish. Ahh GM 60º V6 and the cold start tappety taps... :lol: I think every one made does it, hell I remember them ticking on cold start when I was looking at them new.... It always sounds like valvetrain tap to me, but if it is piston slap I am not worried about it because it runs good, doesn't use oil, and the MPG hasn't really changed.

• 2 weeks later...
230,000 on my monte and still goes fine! has now power but she runs!!! It wont even spin out on WET pavment lol!!... uhh 140,000 on the grand prix and Head gaskit went!

Similar to our Olds CS, 97, 135,000 miles,:( and I think the headgasket or the timing gasket cover is gone as pinpointed by fellow W body owners on the forum :D

it sucks that it has to go soon...

• 4 weeks later...

When I had my 95 Cutlass Supreme, I sold it when it had 167,000 miles on it. It had NO engine problems at that time, burned no oil, leaked not a thing and it still ran strong. With the way it was looking it would have probably reach 200,000 no problem. But then again anything can go wrong at any time. I only sold it because the rear suspension was shot, ABS module was bad, and it had a lot of cosmetic damage (it was my sisters car first). :roll: Women drivers...:lol:

My dad has about 200,000miles on his 2004 Century, and its still running like brand new, while I have around 111,000miles and it burns some oil, but it still runs strong. It will last as long as you take care of it. Dad changed the oil on his car as soon as the light came on.. I have doubts that my car has had the same treatment with the previous owner..

Edited by 2k2cse