Lifetime of a 3100

Fleeingpepper

What is the average lifetime of a 3100? 175,000-250,000 maybe? IDK..

I ask because I'm not sure if it would be worth replacing the top on my vert for $900, because the 3100 has 140,000 miles on it.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Night Fury

• Fleeingpepper

• MonteCarloDude

• Addicted to eaton

as long as the engine is kept up on, you should be good to at minimum 200,000.

I'd worry more about the trans failing as the car gets older then the engine.

My buddy had a '94 Skylark with the 3100, went on until 210ish thousand miles.

Decided to snap a rod and seize itself stoplight racing me in my old Tempo. I'm not a big fan of the 3100 seeing as how my '93 ford tempo 2 door 2.3 could smoke the skylark.

about 122k miles, and runs better than when i got it at 114k... oh wait, new head gaskets and a head. that'll do it :willynilly:. but she is still strong, and i make sure to keep up on all the maintenance now that it is my car.

but i had a 96 lumina with 193k ran pretty damn good, then the tranny failed. :( i really miss that car.

Most I've seen (on the internet) was in a Grand Prix. It had over 400,000 miles, although I think it was the tranny that broke...

Very typical. Most people ditch the cars in the 200K+ range due to transaxle failures.

A friend of mine has a 3100 in a Grand am... It has over 180,000 and runs GREAT! The car itself fucking falling APART BUT the engine is cherry. She treats it like the stereotypical female, too! She let it go 10,000 miles w/o an oil change... I changed it then. :lol:

It does have a strange 'issue' though... It starts like REALLY easy. It seems that you couldn't not start it if you tried! Just TOUCH the key and it starts! :thinking: :thinking: :dunno: :dunno:

A friend of mine has a 3100 in a Grand am... It has over 180,000 and runs GREAT! The car itself fucking falling APART BUT the engine is cherry. She treats it like the stereotypical female, too! She let it go 10,000 miles w/o an oil change... I changed it then. :lol:

It does have a strange 'issue' though... It starts like REALLY easy. It seems that you couldn't not start it if you tried! Just TOUCH the key and it starts! :thinking: :thinking: :dunno: :dunno:

Timing a little off?

Sometimes I wish it wouldn't last long..cus it has no power. Stupid thing. But at least it should go on for a while!

Don't get me wrong they are FAR from fast, But they really are not THAT slow, And im sure some of the problem is the fact that you have a vert and they are a LOT fatter then a hardtop.

230,000 on my monte and still goes fine! has now power but she runs!!! It wont even spin out on WET pavment lol!!... uhh 140,000 on the grand prix and Head gaskit went!

There has to be something wrong with your monte, Because an L82 is a lot better then that down low.

I experienced my highest 3100 mileage today... in a cab. Base ass mid-90's lumina... 217,xxx I believe it was! It seemed to have all of its power, but who in hell knows if it's even original! :lol:

Don't get me wrong they are FAR from fast, But they really are not THAT slow, And im sure some of the problem is the fact that you have a vert and they are a LOT fatter then a hardtop.

Yeah that's what I tell everyone. The car is overweight and underpowered!

230,000 on my monte and still goes fine! has now power but she runs!!! It wont even spin out on WET pavment lol!!... uhh 140,000 on the grand prix and Head gaskit went!

Yeah..even mine can spin for maybe half a second depending on the situation on dry pavement! If I get pissed off and be an idiot on a wet road at 20 or so I can spin the tires. Got stuck behind a "35mph in a 50 zone" person for five miles on a two lane road! I turned off that road, got going a little and punched it. The car went right and my rpms flew up! I drove a little more conservatively in wet weather after that.

So at least I know I don't have a burnt valve..

I experienced my highest 3100 mileage today... in a cab. Base ass mid-90's lumina... 217,xxx I believe it was! It seemed to have all of its power, but who in hell knows if it's even original! :lol:

Thats LOW mileage for a cab that old!

Thats LOW mileage for a cab that old!

They are a relatively new company, but yes, I was honestly expecting more. Maybe it had rolled over!? :lol: