• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Night Fury

• Fleeingpepper

• MonteCarloDude

• Addicted to eaton

Yeah. Why do you think i was happy to get the gtp back... 5.8 sec to 60 :)

5.8 seems a bit fast, Have you done a 0-60 with a stopwatch yet?

Friend has a 0-60 thing on his Iphone.

200,000 at least if you keep up on it and fix stupid little things that break every so often

Such as the whole EGR thing..?

meh, i think i am a fluke.......i believe the intake has some carbon build up in it from when i had the headgasket go out the first time, and i nursed it along before i figured out it was the headgasket.

i am pretty sure i am the only that is complaining about it eating EGR valves....

otherwise, you know, anything is going to break....i have put an alternator on my car at 140k, plugs/wires etc...not that big of a deal....

Got a 1998 3100 in a Grand Prix SE and its on 191,000 and doing pretty good. the thing got a new radiator the other weekend since I broke the drain plug on the old one so maybe that should help things last longer but i am worried about the tranny failing soon and seeing a bunch of 3100s at the local junkyard didnt help my confidence either LoL. I wanted to change the spark plug wires but my uncle goes the originals are fine and better quality (I was like sureee..) so I guess spark plug wires, egr valve, o2 sensor should go in soon. any one run synthetic on the 3100s?

well... alot of 3100s die due to lack of maintenance, or from intake gaskets failing and milking up the oil. pick you engine death.

they are very good engines with revised gaskets and proper maintenance. ...not like the donor engine for my upper intakes, which had 1 inch thick sludge on it.

I have a 3.1 in a '92 base Lumina with a little over 110k on it and it runs strong, especially when you consider that I tear into my car all the time and don't even take the best care of it. My best 0-60 was about 8 seconds (pretty good for a 3.1).

So I know there's the gasket problems..But do all of them have the crap gaskets? Wikipedia says..

"From the mid-1990s to 2003, some versions (the plastic intake manifold version) of this engine are involved in intake manifold gasket defects which caused coolant leakage often leading to engine failure."

the plastic intake manifold version

Soo..which ones didn't get plastic? If at all? Or were they even plastic?

the 3100 never got plastic manifolds. Some of the earlier ones got plastic valve covers that were prone to warping and leaking, but no plastic manifolds. I believe that the gaskets themselves were made of plastic though, this could be what they are talking about.

However, Some of the earlier L36 (3800 series II) V6 cars had issues with the EGR Tube going through the plastic intake manifold. It would melt and deform the plastic to the point where you could start sucking coolant through the intake and cause engine damage. From what I have heard, this would normally happen after the engine was off, where coolant would flow down and fill up the cylinders and the engine would be locked up when you tried to start it later. I believe I have also heard of other instances where it would suck coolant through while running and hydrolock the engine, thus causing severe internal damage. These engines also had the same kind of intake gasket issues as the 3100's as well.

yep.

on the 3800, I talked to the mechanic I bought the old 91 3.4 5-speed cutty from and he worked on several 3800s that sucked coolant in at hwy speeds and locked the motor hardcore.

he had to do full rebuilds on them.....bent pushrods...snapped springs....rod bearings....you name it.

I should also add that 2000 + MY vehicles with the 3800 should have an updated intake manifold design which will prevent the melting from occurring. The intake gasket issue wasn't corrected until 2003 or 2004 though, so that is still a weak point.

well my old cutty went about 187,xxx before i sold it with that annoying piston slap but it still runs really well i sold it to someone i know

so i see it all the time but i have a monte now :twisted: l36 motor HA ha ha ha ha ha! :willynilly:

• 4 months later...

well my old cutty went about 187,xxx before i sold it with that annoying piston slap but it still runs really well i sold it to someone i know

so i see it all the time but i have a monte now :twisted: l36 motor HA ha ha ha ha ha! :willynilly:

Little do you know, the joke is on you, chump !

Well my 3100 is just about to hit 127k sometime this weekend probably. Under a year ago however the head gaskets and intake gaskets were all replaced, plugs wires all brand new, as well as a coolant flush and a full tranny service. I also do all of the routine maintenance and oil change every 2500miles. Yearly moto-vac too now. Runs like a top. No worries about it not making 200k at least. If anything was to go I would bet the tranny sometime like my lumina did. And if so, I would pay to replace it.

When my dad first got the car in 96 or 97 he said it wouldn't pull as well under full throttle as it does now. :lol:

I have 255,000 on my 97 Cutlass. It hasn't had an easy day since I bought it 5 years ago. I use synthetic oil because it's not a lot more money and it quiets down the piston slap when I first start it. The main question is, do you like the car? The motor when taken care of will last a long time but if you don't like it sell it before something goes wrong.

my 1994 grand prix has 185k, just rolled over last week, it is kinda nice. runs like a top. been doing routine stuff on it mainly, did the rack and pinion a couple of months ago, alternator few years back, heagaskets once or twice, intake gaskets a few times, water pump at 184k, new radiator at like 140k (didnt need it but thought i did) EGR valves every 6k or so, but whatever, it runs like a champ.

02-18-09_2300.jpg

see! exciting!

the idea is to drive it till it dies. I want to get a "sports car" when i graduate, and continue to drive the GP when it is nasty out and rainy.

My Reatta with a 3800 only has 105k miles on it, but the exterior and interior are a bit grungy and worn out. The engine itself is physically pretty clean, but it runs like shit right now (I haven't yet determined the cause).

My new Bonneville with the same 3800 as the Reatta (an LN3) has about 220,8XX miles on it, but it runs strong, smooth, and quiet. Not to mention that the body is in good shape and the interior is clean as fuck! It looks like it's probably about due for a full fluid flush-and-fill, and there is a severed electric wire behind the engine, down real low. I also intend on checking the PCV valve today (oil pressure readings are VERY high, usually around 80 psi, with it capable of peaking at 100 or more if I bring it close to redline, which I've only done once or twice).

I just turned 150,000 in the Regal. Aside from normal wear and tear and neglecting it last year, it runs great. I believe in the power of the oil change. A friend has a gorgeous 2004 Silverado and she only gets the oil changed once a year at Merchants. I went nuts.