Z34 already broke - FIXED!

Andrew

Dude you could have grabbed the ever on the transmission and shifted it at the actual transmission itself. DAR dude I hope they don't rape you next time troubleshoot and don't panic so much. :willynilly:

Ken

i just called and talked to someone who is not working on the car, but he did say it IS a cable issue and the trans is fine.

PHEW !!!

the mechanic working on it is supposed to call in about 20 minutes.

well the guy said that the cables are burnt. :confused?: :thinking:

anyway, he has to send them out to either be fixed or remade.

right now im looking at $270 labor plus whatever the other places charges for the cables.

right now im looking at $270 labor plus whatever the other places charges for the cables.

WTF.

I would do the cables yourself. There easy to do. And you can get the oem ones. I don't know what this guy is smoking.

WTF.

I would do the cables yourself. There easy to do. And you can get the oem ones. I don't know what this guy is smoking.

I thought you couldnt get them any more OEM?

damn how fast were you shifting? lol seriously wtf

I had a thread awhile back about the cables, and yes they are still available, but not for all years of the 284, I'll have to look quick and find it.

EDIT:

I just got back from the GM dealer here in town. He found that the select cable is available' date=' and there are 2 designs for the shift cable, for 91 anyways. The first design (part #: 10111584) has a hard plastic grommet on the end and is still available! The 2nd design (part #: 10192247) has a rubber grommet on the end is discontinued. I went and looked at mine and it has the hard plastic grommet. The one that is available lists at $196 he said he couuld get it cheaper yet, but this is what gmpartsdirect came up with:

GM PART # 10111584

CATEGORY: All

PACK QTY: 1

CORE CHARGE: $0.00

GM LIST: $196.82

OUR PRICE: $116.68

[/quote']

He showed 2 designs on his computer for 91, so one was probably something they used for part of the 91 build run and then possibly switched to the other style after that. You'll have to find out which grommet it has, IIRC he said they were not interchangable.

• 2 weeks later...

i almost forgot to update this.

i got my car back from the shop this past Tuesday. shifts better than before!

both the shift cable and select cable were replaced. the trans shop was actually able to find a NOS select cable thru his network of trans shops. yep, i have probably the last OEM select cable that was available. the shift cable was custom built by some place up here, i never did find out where. its the easier cable to reproduce though.

the select cable is not available from GM, it however available thru what the parts guy at the dealer called Vintage Parts. Part #10192248. I ordered an extra one that has yet to arrive, cost me $158. the shift cable is no longer available anywhere, that why i had to have a custom one made.

pic of one of the burnt cables. doesnt look bad but its bad enough!

burntcable.jpg