Z34 EGR Valve

z34mightymachine

Hey Guys, I wanted to get some input about an EGR Valve. Has anyone changed one before. Or has anyone tried to clean it and came out with no problems after. Or would you suggest just to change it considering how expensive it is to buy?

I kept getting an SES light on my old cutlass which was related to the EGR. i cleaned it out but i still kept getting the light. I was still getting awesome fuel mileage with it, and it ran the same so i never bothered with it again.

Reason is because I keep getting a code 32 on my Z34 92. Currently my Z34 has problems shifting into 2. It takes a while before it catches to the next gear. Tranny is not slipping. But i checked all Vaccum lines with a gauge and everything was fine. Unless I'm missing a line. Vaccum Modulator on the tranny has been changed. So my father in law said it could be that the code 32 which is the EGR or vaccum leaks on my car could be the shifting issue. I'm pretty sure eveyone with a 3.4 has had the same issue. Can someone advise what they fixed and what problem occured on your car.

Those 2 should be unrelated. I have had that same issue with my 89 regal ever since I bought it. If you did have a vacuum leak large enough to affect your transmission, you would be noticing very harsh shifts, not long and slow shifts. I was informed that the issue was more then likely caused by a broken or weak shift accumulator spring.

I heard the same thing also that it could be an accumulator spring. Well first I'm going to have my friend at his shop scan my tranny for free to see if there is anything broken inside. If it is a big issue that the tranny will need to get rebuild I will get a used one here in Montreal. I called around and found a good one for $200 Canadian.

there are TONS of threads in regards to cleaning the EGR and the pipe to it from the manifold.

dont spend the big $$ on replacing it because 95% of the time that does NOT fix it.

My DOHC powered Cutlass kept throwing code 32 whenever I'd be exiting or decelerating on a highway. I just disassembled it, went to town on it with throttle body cleaner and reassembled it. It's been a month and a bit and I haven't gotten any codes, and I get about 15 more miles off a tank. It was seriously gummed up though. :lol:

Regal_GS_1989 when you changed your shift accumulator spring did the shifting problem go away?

:redface: I never actually changed it. I was told that was the issue, but at that time, i had my cutlass and i wasn't driving the regal all that much so i didn't bother fixing it. I've put about 30 000 km on the car and the fluid is still nice and red and the issue hasn't gotten any worse, that much i can tell you.

So I'm assuming you still have a shifting issue. My tranny fluid is nice and red also. But the stalling in the shifting is to annoying for me.

So I will try to change the shift accumulator spring this week. Its not hard to do. I will let you know how it turns out.

Yup. I adjusted my driving to it thought. Definately may do this cause I will be driving it this winter and I may tackle it before the snow flies.

• 3 weeks later...

Well tomorrow night I'm getting my transmission scanned to see If I have a internal issue inthe tranny. Hopefully its nothing not to big. We will see. At least I get to scan it for free :lol: