mustang wheels??

alphagtp

Sorry, man. Love your car... but :puke:

That would be just wrong in so many ways. But if you think it would look cool, and it will work... meh. To each their own. :)

I was just thinking on them as a "track" set of wheels since I could get a 17x8 for cheap. I honestly don't think that they look that bad. Don't worry I'm still looking for the real ones :wink:

I can take a picture of bullitts on my red or black car for what it's worth. I LIKE the way they look. The ones I have access to are chrome ones though(17'')...

I like the looks of them.

Are the factory Ford wheels a direct bolt on to the 1st gen w-bodies, or are you getting GM specific FWD wheels with the proper off set/ backspacing?

I would get some for mine, as I like them that much!

Leon

I like the looks of them.

Are the factory Ford wheels a direct bolt on to the 1st gen w-bodies, or are you getting GM specific FWD wheels with the proper off set/ backspacing?

I would get some for mine, as I like them that much!

Leon

mustang takeoffs

• 2 months later...

You have to be careful with the offset with Stang rims.  For my Intrigue, the rims are out noticeable further. But, still "acceptable".

I like most of the 5-lug Stang wheels.  But, then again, I'm biased. :)  When I had to decide to get a newer performance car, I broke from my GM in the blood heritage, and went with an '86 Stang instead of a Firebird or Camero.  10+ years later, I'm still proud of that decision.  I'm done a lot of suspension mods to my Stang.  I know a lot about the Stang rims.

Basically, you have the 94-04 ("sn95") Stang wheels that have similar offsets.  There are a few rims that have a deeper offset.  They were made initially for some specific year Cobras (like the 98 Cobra or '95 Cobra R).  But, because of the wheels deeper offset, they became a very popular rim for the 84-93 ("Fox") Stangs that have the 5-lug upgrade. So, those rims and special offset went from an "odd ball" wheel, to mainstream.

Then, there are the '05+ ("S197") Stang rims.  They have a deeper offset for the newer Stangs.  They would also be a good choice for a W-body.

A few (very few) aftermarket companies offer the 94-04 style rims with a deeper offset.  Again, their main target if for the pre-94 Stangs that have the 5-lug upgrade.  So, you may be able to find a "Bullitt Style" rim with a deeper than stock offset.  Also, Ford (FRPP - Ford Racing Performance Parts) sold some FRPP rims with deeper than stock offset to target mostly the pre-94 Stangs.

So... it's important that people check if someone is comparing an stock 94-04 Stang wheel, verses an 05+ Stang wheel, verses a 94-04 or 04+ Stang wheel that has a deeper than stock offset to appeal to the significant pre-94 Stang market with a 5-lug upgrade.

Plus, the relative offset amount will change a little as you go between wheel widths.  That's to allow the wider tires to clear stock interference problems like shocks/fenders/etc.

Got all of that? :-)

FYI:

Picture: http://www.fordracingparts.com/images/part/full/M1007R58.jpg

M-1007-R58

* Fits 1994-04

* 5-lug, 4.5" bolt circle

* 5.98" backspacing

* 24mm offset

* 17" x 9" wide

* Includes center cap

* Same wheel used on 1995 SVT Mustang Cobra “Râ€Â

M-1007-M179

* Fits 1979-93 Mustang with M-2300-K brake kit, front use M-1007-R58

* 17" x 9" wide

* 5-lug, 4.50†bolt circle

* Same as M-1007-R58 except 6.42†backspacing

* 36mm offset

* Includes center cap M-1096-M

Here is a company that sells aftermarket (NON FORD OEM) rims that has rims in Stang style rims in various offsets:

http://www.lakeshorewheelandtire.com/specials/saleen.shtml

I haven't heard anything bad about them. I buy only original Ford/FRPP rims. But, I've been lucky in being able to grab some rims that have been in limited production over the years (like the 17x9 M179 rims with more offset).

BTW: Just so people know that I'm not pulling stuff from my rear :), here's my Stang:

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/misc/Mustang1986_with_Mach1_springs/

Note, the "awesome" fit and finish of the hood and fender. <rolleyes> Yea, that's 100% from the factory. Neither the hood or fender have never been off the car.

The car originally came with 4-lug rims and POS death-trap 10" brakes. The GT Stangs went to the "better" 11" brakes in '87. But, they also went to the single headlight and "aero" look. In '94, finally, a much needed major overhaul of the Stang braking system. Now, my car has ABS and the 94-99 Cobra brakes -13" rotors and the Cobra calipers (equiv to the C4 calipers).

Note: Those pictures do not have my M179 wheels with 275/40/17 tires on the back.