bad blowoff valve?

patgizz

my car has a blitz blowoff valve that was added prior to me getting my dirty hands on it.

the first few weeks i drove the car, it did it's normal "whoosh" sound when i let off to shift.

recently the sound is no longer that "whoosh" that you associate with a blowoff valve, and more a sputter. i'm not building as much boost(on autometer gauge, not factory) as i was prior to the sound change.

do blowoff valves go bad? leak boost?

not that i do not have enough on my plate of car repairs, but if it is bad are they rebuildable or do i have to bite the proverbial bullet and get a new one?

k smartass, is the bov shimmable?

so, why am i a smartass when you are the one who inserted a completely unwarranted and un-asked-for reply.

did i ask "which aftermarket blowoff valve should i switch to?"

dont think so

mfewtrail, i can check. didnt know there was a diaphragm inside, not even sure how they work which is why i asked in the first place.

some bovs are more prone to leakage than others, but i can't say i know particularly which ones, its been a while since i was in the market. i'm sure a google search might provide some reviews/experiences

Yes BOVs can go bad and yes they can leak boost.

Ok now answer MY question. Is the BOV shimmable? Is it a diaphragm or a piston type?

All I'm saying is, for the time your going to invest trying to troubleshoot your BOV, and then find parts if they are even available, just bite the bullet and buy a new one. One that is not a generic ebay POS. That is all.

mfewtrail,  i can check.  didnt know there was a diaphragm inside,  not even sure how they work which is why i asked in the first place.

Some of them have diaphrams, but yours might not Pat as there are a few different styles. I'm assuming it's the diaphram style since you're having problems out of it. The piston style BOV's are supposed to be more reliable if I remember correctly.

EDIT: Here's a little write up showing some pictures of a diaphram style one that has been diassembled.

http://180sx.locost7.info/blowoffvalve.php

I got a piston style one (turbo xs)and its shimmable and I took it off because I didnt like how it functions at all compared to my new DSM one. the DSM uses a diapragm and a valve and works much better.

the turbo xs barely blows off, and you would have to really build up a LOT of boost to get it to do anything. with shims in it it would likely do nothing at all, I am pretty sure that would make the spring even tighter. I did not like having it on the lower charge pipe either. I couldnt be happier with the DSM 1G up by the tb.

with a piston and spring the valve cant float like the diaphragm style. you dont need a filter but it seemed kind of ineffective.

on hold.

as of yesterday afternoon i have rattle in the bottom end, sounds like a rod. not sure what i want to do now. i just got the car all done and sorted out

on hold.

as of yesterday afternoon i have rattle in the bottom end, sounds like a rod. not sure what i want to do now. i just got the car all done and sorted out

You just need to sell me your spare 282 for cheap now :lol:

Sucks that teh TGP is fighting you, it was definately quick as hell...

Check the lower intercooler coupler. I know it blew off once when I drove it hard. Then tighten the nut on top of the bov, just don't make it super tight, it's an adjustable bov. If the bov is bad, just find a used 1stgen dsm bov [the 2ndgen is plastic and is junk], because I used a 1stgen dsm flange welded onto the intake pipe.