easy v8 pwer?

1988GPSE

hello yall ,i need to make my car faster.i want V8 torq and sound. what is by the far the most trouble free swap for under 1k? i can do most mechanical myself.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Euro

• 1988GPSE

• meltboy1

• Addicted to eaton

out of an 88 2.8... good luck with that... you want V8 sound... drill some holes in the muffler... you want V8 power... drop in a 4.9 outta a caddy... :)

4.9 caddy it

you can get a whole car under 1k and do the fab work yourself.

or... buy the under $1k caddy and pimp in style with your v8 sound.

tell me more about this caddie stuff ,what kind of numbers am i looking to put down? im just dog tired of this 2.8 and need some more punch. also the ladys love the torq and vibration of the v8 *i kno cause ive chizzled a few just from borrwin my friends done up truck*.i need this type of attraction with my own ride.my car its cleen and i need the balls under the hood to back up the driver.i seen a caddie for sale down the road that looks like late 80s car maybe 4.9? how hard is it to install and who has done it?

not many people have done it, and IMO it's a waste of time/money. Only like 200hp IIRC, and no aftermarket. If you want the V8 sound and power you should've got a V8

not many people have done it, and IMO it's a waste of time/money. Only like 200hp IIRC, and no aftermarket. If you want the V8 sound and power you should've got a V8

still i love the looks of the car. 200hp aint bad and more then enough rumble. just be cool to have a fwd v8 as well.

If you want a V8 go buy a RWD V8 car. I love my car and all, but you can only have so much fun with a V8 when it's driving the front wheels. Go buy an F-body I assure you the girls will like that more than an older GP with a V8 into it. You can get LTI F-bodys real cheap.

If you want a V8 go buy a RWD V8 car. I love my car and all, but you can only have so much fun with a V8 when it's driving the front wheels. Go buy an F-body I assure you the girls will like that more than an older GP with a V8 into it. You can get LTI F-bodys real cheap.

show me an LT1 F-body for under 1k and the next day I will show you a pic of it in my driveway... :P

seriously though man, short of a shitload of time, money and work... which aparently you can't provide at least 2 of the 3... just enjoy the adequate power and gas mileage that the 2.8 provides and get another car to be fast...

LOL if I find one I'LL be buying it. :biggrin: Obviously not going to get one for THAT cheap. But a few grand will have you one.

But yea, as meltboy1 said, it's gonna take alot of time, money, and work. Remember, going fast usually requires $$$ and you can't expect to do so without spending a little cash. And that aside, you don't even need a V8 to go fast. There are plenty of L67's that will put my LS4 to shame.

i dont see why anyone would think the 2.8 is slow? :leaving:

ya, I can't imagine why, consiodering one of my cars is a 2.8 and the other is a chipped 3.1 turbo... lol

The 2.8 blows the turbo away... considering it's in my driveway with no radiator atm... :P

still i love the looks of the car. 200hp aint bad and more then enough rumble. just be cool to have a fwd v8 as well.

Do it, like I said an Allante intake on a 4.9 will put out almost 300 hp...Would be awesome in a GP...

show me an LT1 F-body for under 1k and the next day I will show you a pic of it in my driveway... :P

seriously though man, short of a shitload of time, money and work... which aparently you can't provide at least 2 of the 3... just enjoy the adequate power and gas mileage that the 2.8 provides and get another car to be fast...

QFT. Or just buy another GP and do some crazy swap in there since you will have all the time in the world to work on it.

k has anyone at all done this or have some pictures of the swap?

if you search the forum, there are pics of a 1G with a 5.0swap (caddy based), a 1.5G MC and a 1G GP that both have N* swaps....

but the 1st Gen GP that has the northstar swap is RWD....something that can't be done for under $1,000 :lol:

If you search well enough you'll come across a riced out, white Lumina Z34 that had this swap done.

but the 1st Gen GP that has the northstar swap is RWD....something that can't be done for under $1,000 :lol:come across a riced out, white Lumina Z34 that had this swap done.

I forgot he went RWD too :eek:

Welcome, but seriously. I've been called a dream squasher before, but I will do it again:

Your car is 20 years old, just be happy it still runs! No such thing as easy power on these cars. Also no such thing as an easy engine swap on a 20 year old car.

Try changing the fuel and air filters. Change the plugs, wires, rear brakes (I'm sure they're warped :lol:) Sooner or later a coil pack will probably go out. Maybe a fuel pump? Try fixing the little things broken in the interior. You might enjoy your car more

Food for thought :exclaim: