automatic pull down trunk latch assembly

rockfangd

will this work on my 94 cutlass supreme? It appears to mount exactly the came as a standard one. I pulled the whole unit and the trunk latch with wires. I would like to make it work because not only is it a nice feature but i hate when people slam my trunk by the sports rack :mad:.

The wires on the latch that goes on the lid are

red

orange/black

black

and the wires on the pull down assembly on the body are

orange/black

red

black

red/black.

Thanks to all in advance. Here is a few pics also

I loved that feature, both my cadillac's had it, my 80 & 82 Coupe DeVille's. I still had ppl slam my trunk :mad: pissed me off good luck.

LOL I need one of those.

I shut my trunk as gently as I can to get it to shut.

<.<

I also close it from the latch inside by grabbing it, pulling down, and sliding my hand out of the way... as opposed to, yknow, slamming it down from the top. Not risking denting that mo'fo'.

well all i need to know is how to wire it up. i dont know exactly where to get the wiring schematic for it. i am going to guess that three of the latch wires go to 3 of the assembly wires but i do not want to mess anything up.

Just the 3 pin is all I can find, but the rest may be in there. I will have a look and I will see if my friend has the schematic for an Aurora which might also work.

what switches are you talking about. Once it is in i will make any repairs to keep it working but i have yet to see one that didnt function properly.

Just the 3 pin is all I can find, but the rest may be in there. I will have a look and I will see if my friend has the schematic for an Aurora which might also work.

I was thinking maybe mitchell would help but i dont think it has this diagram. What does your schematic say about the 3 wires

what switches are you talking about. Once it is in i will make any repairs to keep it working but i have yet to see one that didnt function properly.

I was thinking maybe mitchell would help but i dont think it has this diagram. What does your schematic say about the 3 wires

You cant prevent the failure on them... The latch assembly that the 3 wires plug into is the switch.. They fail.... alot

well i can easily replace the switch if need be. i can get one readily available. i am used to things being prone to going bad and i learn to just accept and replace it lol :mrgreen:

It may be run through the BCM on a Cadillac...

But on the Olds, it's:

Orange - power

Red - to the trunk lid latch

Black - Ground

My mom had this feature on her 89 Cadillac Eldorado Barritz. Interesting little car. We sold it when it hit 112k.

Anyways, it broke for some reason or another. Might be worth noting that it might not last forever.

i am thinking that the only wire that goes to the bcm is the red/black for the cluster to say trunk ajar. I may be wrong but i will try to find out tomorrow. Another reason why i want to do this is because i have a bad tendency to pop my trunk for something, forget, and go to go to work the next morning and find out the hard way lol. i mean numerous times i have done this. Because when you pop my trunk you cant even tell itis open, so at least it will push up enough for me to at least see it

The 93 Park Ave i just bought has this feature but its broke. The guy says his daughter slammed the trunk and broke it. Seems that if the trunk is slammed to many times it will break.

ok i have good news and bad news

The good

I found the schematic

the latch on the lid mounted perfect.

the schematic is correct

on the motor the red/black wire goes to the bcm or the trunk ajar light. Orange/black goes to constant, black goes to ground, and the red wire goes to the red latch wire.

on the latch the red goes to the red on the motor, the black goes to ground, and the orange/black goes to the trunk light socket.

I tested everything and everything works fine

Ok the bad

the bracket that mounts to the body mounts completely different than the car. On the car there is two studs that pertrude and the bracket mounts to that with two nuts. On the pull down assy there is 2 studs that go through the body and have nuts on the other side. There has got to be a way to make it work but i will just have to do some research.

My question is does anyone know if there is any other kind of bracket that uses the automatic pull down or are they all the same?

see the pull down assembly mounts with 3 bolts on the side of the bracket and then the bracket mounts to the body.

I am going to see if i tap the studs out of the bracket if i can use my own bolts but i have to figure out how to access the back side behind the bumper to secure the nuts

Heh, I wanted to install one of these 5+ years ago, but never could find one for cheap enough on eBay although I did bid on a few. I think too many of them break so the demand was pretty good. Anyway, I never found a pull down assembly that was bolt-in. What you could do is grind off the existing studs and have some new studs welded on. I've seen stud-welders where you insert a stud and just touch it to where you want it to go and that's it. I'm guessing it's probably something most body shops would have.

I never got that far, hopefully you get further!

well i plan on saturday. i think i am going to latch the latch at the lowest setting, then close the trunk with me in it, mark the holes and do nuts and bolts. but i am not quite sure yet