6x9 subs

xtremerevolution

The Bonneville still doesn't have enough bass, and I'm not sure if I want to put a sub box in the trunk, so I'm considering some 6x9 subs. Anyone think this would be a good idea? I'd be trading or selling the current Sony 6x9's that are installed in the back. They sound pretty good for Sony speakers and have a good amount of bass, just not enough for me.

Would 6x9 subs have decent bass output? Or would I be better off just getting a separate sub and amp? These 6x9's would be running off the built in amp in the trunk just like the current 6x9's are set up.

Wow Ive never even heard of 6x9 subs

IIRC a couple got sold here on w-body not too long ago:

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=66620.0

http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/w69-1042j.htm

The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that if I turn up the bass to high, my front speakers start blaring anyway.

Wow, you learn something new everyday. I did kinda chuckle when I seen "paper subwoofer"

Personally I would just run some subs in addition to your other speakers. That way you can adjust the gain separate from you reg speakers so you dont have the problem you were mentioning.

Well they're $60 there and one of the guys here on the forum is selling a pair for $80 shipped. I think $80 shipped is much better.

The question is, will it give me the bass I want? The problem with cranking up the base on the head unit is that it will increase the bass over all the speakers, not just the rear 6x9's, and increasing the bass too high on the front 6.5's will make them sound pretty distorted.

Will I get much of a better bass output using these? Or should I just keep my current 6x9's?

The 6x9's I have in the back now are a pair of Sony Xplod SX-GT6935A

http://www.xplodsony.com/xplod/speakers/XS-GT6935A

Whoever had the car before me must have put those in because I know those don't come stock with this car.

Wow, you learn something new everyday. I did kinda chuckle when I seen "paper subwoofer"

Personally I would just run some subs in addition to your other speakers. That way you can adjust the gain separate from you reg speakers so you dont have the problem you were mentioning.

Yeah that's my best bet, but I don't have the money for that right now. I'd need at least an Alpine R10 to give me the bass I'm looking for, which would probably cost me $90 for the sub, another $40 for the enclosure, another $90 for the amp, and another $20 for the speaker - RCA conversion box. That's $240+ I don't exactly have right now...

The only other thing I can think of is get 4 crossover boxes to adjust the door speakers so that they don't output any bass, and have all the bass coming from the 6x9's. Is that even possible?

I'm waiting for some of you car audio gurus around here to chime in on what my best route would be.

yeah Im sure slick (or whatever his username is today LOL) and some other guys will chime in soon also.

You'd be surprised at the output of some systems out there you can build cheap. I once had an old MTX Blue Thunder 12", a 250 Watt Jensen Amp, and some 10 gauge wire actually hit pretty hard for my tastes in my old Corvette. Then again, the speaker was 3in behind my head LOL.

yeah Im sure slick (or whatever his username is today LOL) and some other guys will chime in soon also.

You'd be surprised at the output of some systems out there you can build cheap. I once had an old MTX Blue Thunder 12", a 250 Watt Jensen Amp, and some 10 gauge wire actually hit pretty hard for my tastes in my old Corvette. Then again, the speaker was 3in behind my head LOL.

LOL

Any speaker 3" behind your head will hit hard enough to give you a headache, haha. :biggrin:

The stock system in the Bonneville is really nice with its own separate Monsoon amp in the back, and hooking up a separate amp will be a walk in the park since the battery is under the back seat anyway. If I was desperate enough, I'd grab one of the stereo amps off the regal and bridge it since I don't technically need an entire 680W RMS of power to the stereo speakers...

If a Type R 10" subwoofer is what fills your needs (which IMO, for the money, you can do better), than 6" x 9" subwoofers are not going to do anything for you. Besides, you will lose your rear fill as well.

IMO, save your money and get a subwoofer.

I used to have a set of Kicker 6x9 Free air subs that sound pretty decent for what they were....but I recommend picking up a single 10" or 12" sub if you can.

If a Type R 10" subwoofer is what fills your needs (which IMO, for the money, you can do better), than 6" x 9" subwoofers are not going to do anything for you. Besides, you will lose your rear fill as well.

IMO, save your money and get a subwoofer.

That's basically the kind of answer I was looking for. If it just won't be worth it, then I won't do it.

I mentioned a Type R 10" only because of the kind of power I could get out of it. I'm more than willing to consider a better sub for the same price range. I got my R12 at cost from best buy, so that wasn't too bad.

I'll ask for some recommendation when I've got the cash together to put a sub in this car. Thanks for everyone's help.

:high5:

What kind of deck do you have? A lot of newer decks come with highpass filters, which will cross a certain frequency and route only highs beyond that frequency to your front speakers.

My Pioneer is set up this way, I also have it set so all bass is in the rear 6x9's, they're basically a couple of mini subs, and as a few MI members can attest, they don't sound too bad. Nothing like having a sub in the trunk, but not bad.

What kind of deck do you have? A lot of newer decks come with highpass filters, which will cross a certain frequency and route only highs beyond that frequency to your front speakers.

My Pioneer is set up this way, I also have it set so all bass is in the rear 6x9's, they're basically a couple of mini subs, and as a few MI members can attest, they don't sound too bad. Nothing like having a sub in the trunk, but not bad.

It's the stock deck that came with the Bonneville. No high-pass filter there. I know my Pioneer also has this feature in the Regal, but I'm not in the mood to buy a new head unit for the Bonneville, considering it also came with its own factory amp in the trunk.