Amperage question

3.1cutlass

How many amps are on the power wire to a deck? My friend and I are trying to hook up a car cd deck in his garage and need to know what to bump the amps up or down to.

A typical headunit take like a 10amp fuse. Any decent one has a fuse on the back of the HU...

You cant use a fuse to raise or lower current to a device.

A typical headunit take like a 10amp fuse. Any decent one has a fuse on the back of the HU...

Yes i realize this and the one we are using is fused but i need to know how much power to put to the HU.

Yes i realize this and the one we are using is fused but i need to know how much power to put to the HU.

umm, 12volt.. Itll consume the current it needs.. The maximum is what the fuse on the back is rated at... 14ga wire will be a good thing though...

For most 12V accessories I use 12V 1-3amp power adapters and they work just fine. But its been awhile since Ive done a deck though.

For most 12V accessories I use 12V 1-3amp power adapters and they work just fine. But its been awhile since Ive done a deck though.

Oh, he wants to know what kinda powersupply he needs...

Use a spare computer power supply. The wires have a diagram somewhere on the box that will tell you which is 12V+... Most have 15amp leads that work fine..

1-3amp AC/DC adapter isnt the best idea for it because the moment it gets turned up a decent amount the adapter will start overheating quick/

ha, i did a presentation at school one time with a HU, amp, and subs, all ran off a battery charger. And the teachers in neighboring classes were pissed when shit started falling off their walls. lol