AUX input for factory HU

88red4cyl

I have a factory Delco cd player in my 95 Lumina... I want to be able to hook my mp3 player up into the system so I can listen to it.. I've tried the FM modulator things, and they suck with all the static (maybe it's because the antenna is so far away, I don't know).. Anyway, I know these units have an input for a slave tape player on the back of them, and I was wondering if there was a way to hook up a line in jack for my mp3 player... Any ideas?

Thanks!

I know my freind makes a kit that you solder into your factory headunit. And it puts the MP3 tunes thru your stereo. But I cant find his auctions on ebay..

Pl

I added a aux input to a base model 88-94 CS radio. I haven't looked at the deluxe decks though.

Please share how you did this....did you just find the preamp in for the tape head or ??????

I know my freind makes a kit that you solder into your factory headunit. And it puts the MP3 tunes thru your stereo. But I cant find his auctions on ebay..

Yea yea, I am quoting myself..

My freind I mentioned got into contact with me. He might be willing to make another run of cords and instuctions. You can try contacting him at... mickstan@excite.com and see what he says.

Pl

I added a aux input to a base model 88-94 CS radio. I haven't looked at the deluxe decks though.

Please share how you did this....did you just find the preamp in for the tape head or ??????

I believe he told me he pulled the wires off of the tape head and connected them to the headphone cord he had. It didn't sound bad.

Pl

I believe he told me he pulled the wires off of the tape head and connected them to the headphone cord he had. It didn't sound bad.

Thats not the proper way to do it... You need to find where the audio from the cassette ribbon feeds to the preamp and do the bypass there. You solder to what I do believe are called some attenuators.

Here are some pics, first 2 are different examples where to solder to on 2 different stock CS radios (Cassette only vs CD cassette unit)

P1010137edit.jpg

P1010126edit.jpg

P1010141.jpg

Removing the ribbon the non destructive way

P1010122.jpg

P1010120.jpg

Pl

I cut and spliced into the wires going from the internal tape deck to the main radio circuit board.

I can't remember all colors,,, but.. iirc

red = right channel

white = left channel

three other wires of no consequence. (none is a ground)

ground the ground to the chassis.

I actually used a interrupting phone jack( but it is a piece of shit). the wires from the tape deck run through it, so when the a double male cable from the sound source is plugged in, it disconnects the tape feed.

last but not least, I have to have a tape in the player to make it work.

when the tape is out, the radio plays. when the tape is in, the tape plays (but sounds crappy due to a poor connection in the interrupter jack) the aux source plugs in and it replaces the tape audio.

Oh, your talking about the older Delco ATR type units, right...

The one he posted is slightly newer so the pics and brief instructions I posted is what he wants to follow..

The points I circled are where the headphone jack wires need to be soldered.. (the 2 at the bottom, ignore the single one on top)

I cant remember which is ground and which is signal, but it may not matter...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

bump... as I am trying to be the nutcase i am and add this to a radio in the middle of the night.

specifically, a 1995 CS dual combo radio.... that will be installed in the 94.... and if it works.... probably every other car i might ever own... :willynilly:

MORE INFO! 

1)  Oldsmobile 1995-1999 Radio's with built-in CD player are not compatible with this interface becuase they do not have CD Changer Control functions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1995-1997-OLDSMOBILE-CUTLASS-SUPREME-DIRECT-iPOD-INPUT_W0QQitemZ150005246517QQihZ005QQcategoryZ58350QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

p.s. does the tape only radio have any extra plugs on the back besides the blue one?