what tools do I need to change my timing chain?

pinball411

hey everyone I would like to start off by saying that this forum is really cool. All kinds of info on our cars amazing all in one place! My troubles are over! :)

Anyhow my timing chain is due for change my friend told me they must be done every 60000 miles. now he says he will do it for around $1500 but if I can do it myself that would save me some money. The car has the 3.8v6 and is fairly spacious under the hood. Is this a project I can do in my driveway or carport? the car runs fine but my friend keeps saying I need to bring it in for a change before my ruin my engine. any help would be great I just dont have the coin to spend on this at the moment thank you.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xtremerevolution

• 93CutlassSupreme

• BXX

• pinball411

Your friend is giving you bad advice. The timing chain on all W-body OHV engines is a lifetime part.

The only W-body engine that requires a TIMING BELT replacement is the LQ1 3.4L DOHC engine.

Your friend is giving you bad advice. The timing chain on all W-body OHV engines is a lifetime part.

The only W-body engine that requires a TIMING BELT replacement is the LQ1 3.4L DOHC engine.

hmm not sure why he would tell me that. after all he has owned the garage for 10 years and has been doing it for 15.

Your friend may be misinformed, I wouldn't instantly conclude he's trying to take your money. Either way, the timing chains on these cars are pretty good. The old old 3.8s from the early 80's had some sort of nylon timing gear that would break over time. I don't think any W bodies got those engines though.

As others said, he might be confusing your engine with the 3.4 that has a timing belt

He owns a 92 Regal GS... And yes, his buddy is an idiot and trying to rip him off... Any mechanic with half a brain knows that NO REGAL EVER cam with a timing belt.

what a douche. Tell him that 3.8's didn't even come with timing belts in the first place.

Timing chains are supposed to be lifetime, but my buddy's old 3.1 that is now gone snapped a timing chain at 160k

what a douche. Tell him that 3.8's didn't even come with timing belts in the first place.

Timing chains are supposed to be lifetime, but my buddy's old 3.1 that is now gone snapped a timing chain at 160k

lol.

I also have the 3.8L V6, and I drive it hard every time I go out. 178,400 miles now and no problems. That chain doesn't need to be replaced. The engine is bulletproof and shouldn't ever need $1500 worth of work combined over the life of the engine. Your car's body panels will rust off before you need to spend $1500 on that engine.

I also have the 3.8L V6, and I drive it hard every time I go out. 178,400 miles now and no problems. That chain doesn't need to be replaced. The engine is bulletproof and shouldn't ever need $1500 worth of work combined over the life of the engine. Your car's body panels will rust off before you need to spend $1500 on that engine.

Unless it catches on fire... :willynilly:

Unless it catches on fire... :willynilly:

The series 2 3800 catches fire. The Series 1 L27 and its predecessor the LN3 don't catch fire like the Series 2 motors do.

L27 Pwnage!!! :biggrin:

Its really sad that only Buick used this motor on the w-bodies. It's an incredibly reliable engine with low maintenance, a lot of torque, and it will take loads and loads of abuse and just keep on asking for more. Believe me I've abused this engine. The only reason why I have a polyurethane engine mount is because I'd rip through the a rubber one every 6 months and it was annoying having to change it all the time.

Well even after 15 years he still doesnt know what hes talking about. The chain is a lifetime part. If it broke at 250k I'd be surprised. If he mistook it for a belt then he still doesnt know what he's talking about because this motor doesnt have one. Just opening the hood and looking at it would tell him that. Dont ever have that person service your car.

Either your friend is an Idiot, or not a friend.

I think in the 4 years I've been on this board I've only seen one timing chain break, and that was on a 3.1 that was turbo'd at 250,000 miles.

on that rare off chance that the chain would break you would be better off paying someone else to put a low mile engine in your car for $700 or so then paying your "friend" $1500 for that.

I paid the same amount for my motor, with all the work done to it for the same cost that your friend charges you to change the timing chain.......

Like it has been said, these things do not go bad. Unless you have a modified motor, theres a chance that it *might* stretch, but other than that, you dont need to replace them.

Ok well I talked to him and told him that I read my car didn't need timing chain change. He shook his head and said I was a fool to listen to internet mechanics. This guy has done a ton of work to my car. last summer was both headgaskets and a a/c swap , my a/c did work but he said the gas in the compressor was harmful to the envrionment and that I would be ticketed if anyone knew I still had the old stuff in it. The reason for headgaskets is he said these cars are prone to gasket failure and I should catch it before any damage was done. So I had that done just to be safe because I want to keep the car for a good while.

HE RIPPED YOU OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will not get a ticket for having the original R12 refrigerant in your A/C system!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :willynilly:

They do not have headgasket issues!!!!!!!!!!!! That is the 2.8L and 3.1L engine that do!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus titty fuckin christ!!! Where's ma damn gun. I gotta go ripoff-mechanic huntin :willynilly:

I AINT GOT A GUN, BUT I WILL BUY ONE FOR THIS...

The 3800's are excelent motors. The second or third best ever put out by GM. First being the 4.3 engine (love those damn motors). The timing chains only need to be replaced IF the cam position sensor falls off. And even then, your only replacing the chain cause you have to take off the old chain to put the new magnet on. Which I beleive for a 92 motor, you dont have to worry about..

Please dont waste your money on replacing a chain that doesnt need to be replaced. I replaced a factory timing chain on a 3800 that had 252000 miles on it. And it was only because the cam magnet fell off.

Your mechanic has ripped you off twice now, and is trying to see if your gullable enuf for a 3rd time. 3800 dont blow head gaskets, EVER!. The AC thing, that just makes me mad. Mechanics like him give mechanics like me a bad name.

Personally, I would report him to the BBB, and see about getting your money back. Dont fall further into his scam tactics.

Ok well I talked to him and told him that I read my car didn't need timing chain change. He shook his head and said I was a fool to listen to internet mechanics. This guy has done a ton of work to my car. last summer was both headgaskets and a a/c swap , my a/c did work but he said the gas in the compressor was harmful to the envrionment and that I would be ticketed if anyone knew I still had the old stuff in it. The reason for headgaskets is he said these cars are prone to gasket failure and I should catch it before any damage was done. So I had that done just to be safe because I want to keep the car for a good while.

wow!!! he FUCKED you HARDCORE!!!! ... he outright fucking lied to you, multiple times now......do yourself a favor, don't let this guy EVER touch your car again....

and said I was a fool to listen to internet mechanics.

I kinda understand where he is coming from, but people on here know their stuff (for the most part). This forum has probably saved me $100s if not $1000s showing me how to do things myself.

And I take back my first post, your friend is ripping you off.