what tools do I need to change my timing chain?

pinball411

The only thing that really needs to be done to your car is that the Dex-Cool coolant, assuming you have it, needs to be professionally washed out of your motor, and replaced with standard green stuff. :bandwagon:

Not necessary. Gasket failures are caused by poorly designed gaskets, not DexCool.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xtremerevolution

• 93CutlassSupreme

• BXX

• pinball411

Neglected Dex-Cool helps promote their failure though.. It kind goes hand in hand

Just about every shop I've gone to told me that I shouldn't be using it in my car. I used it for 20,000 miles before I had someone flush it out, and now I'm back to green stuff. I'm not taking my chances.

Anything neglected helps promote failure.

Yeah but neglecting to change your oil after 100,000 miles will be slightly more harmful than neglecting to change your transmission fluid after 100,000 miles, if the car even runs that far on one change of oil. I remember one of my dad's cousins brilliantly drove a Ford F150 for 45,000 miles without changing the oil only to have the engine seize up on him. Oops?

I've heard way too many times that DexCool can be harmful in cars not designed for it. Given that the regular green stuff isn't any different in price, there's really no point to switch to it.

Like I said thought, anything neglected will promote failure. If your car came with Dex-cool, theres no reason to switch it. Do the regular change intervals and your fine. The GM gaskets didnt fail because of the Coolant. it failed cause its a piss poor design.

I dont want to make this yet ANOTHER dex-cool bullshit thread.

Fact of the matter is regulare maintenaince goes a long way.

Not trying to be rude here, but your "mechanic" (and I use that term lightly) is clearly out for your money and not much else.

This is an excellent site to get educated at, many members are mechanics full or part time and most know their way around an engine or 2. I cannot even begin to list the knowledge I have gained from this community.

It really bothers me that there are people out there that take full advantage of a friend for their own selfish gain.

over the years I have seen MANY 3800s go well over 200,000 miles, and a few past 300,000 and generally the rest of the car falls apart long before the engine fails, and 90% of them have had minimal service to get that far, needing headgaskets and a timing chain before 200,000 is almost unheard of on these engines.

Hell even my "problematic" 3.4 that many people seem to think is concentrated evil is still going strong at 191,000 miles, still on its original timing chain, it has had a few timing belts put through it, but thats a wear item.

Not necessary. Gasket failures are caused by poorly designed gaskets, not DexCool.

ding ding ding! GM redesigned the intake gaskets what 3 times and not the dexcool hmmm.

Fact of the matter is regular maintenance goes a long way.

I think this statement is the bottom line in any Dexcool argument.

It's the bottom line for anything in a car....or fuck, LIFE!!!!

You don't 'miss' a couple days feeding your baby because you were too lazy, or too busy. If you want your investment to last, whatever it is, take care of it.