My blown motor progress thread.....AGAIN!

Euro

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Euro

• 5speedz34

• slick

• 93CutlassSupreme

After I read your first post I immediately thought "Bearings compromised from internal coolant leak". Sure enough I bet that was it. When the oil looks that white/milky there's a LOT of coolant mixed in. The 3100/3400 after an event like that, the cam bearings will usually go first and I suspect that being the reason why the cam breaks shortly after.

No real word yet, thanks everybody here for giving me an idea...I posted here and CGP and you both came up with the same cause. They won't start tearing into it until sometime this afternoon, then they're supposed to call my dad. I might be at work by that time, so who knows.

I'm hoping to get a loaner/rental....a week without my car will be hell. It's depressing walking by the window 4-5 times a day and not seeing it sitting out there :cry:

By the way, I still wouldn't have guessed the diagnosis that everybody's told me either. Our van's lim gasket went at around 52k miles...it's now at 71k with no problems. My dad's old Lesabre with the L36, gasket went at 71k, and at 78k when we traded it in it had no problems

it's always me.... :lol:

I would've guessed coolant in oil also. I thought you just had the gaskets replaced for shits.

My truck was the same way, I never noticed a leak but the coolant always was low. Then one day, the gaskets completely went.

Yeah I had no idea that this would've happened down the road once I found it in the oil. If I did, I wouldn't have driven it the 35 minutes home to have my mechanic change the LIM. But oh well, damage is done. Still waiting to hear from them.

By the way, I still wouldn't have guessed the diagnosis that everybody's told me either. Our van's lim gasket went at around 52k miles...it's now at 71k with no problems. My dad's old Lesabre with the L36, gasket went at 71k, and at 78k when we traded it in it had no problems

it's always me.... :lol:

Based on my experience I would of never guessed that either. I've just had horse shoes up my ass when it comes to mixing oil and coolant I guess.

Sucks that your without a car, I had the same feeling of emptiness when the head gaskets went on the GP, I had no car for a month. Lucky for me it was a month where I was in school, and I could walk to the school in 5 minutes.

Hope you get it all fixed up! Be a shame to see such a nice car go down hill!

Jamie

Yeah, like I said, it's been a common issue over on bonnevilleclub.com.

I don't know how they do it but somehow the people on the bonnevilleclub forums seem to find new and creative ways to annihilate 3800s every day.

that seriously sucks matt, but at least you are most likely getting it repaired for nothing out of your pocket. I know If the same thing happened to be I'd have to pay for and change the sob myself, so think of it on the bright side that you will have a brand new engine to treat right from day one at no, or very little cost to you.

Yeah, like I said, it's been a common issue over on bonnevilleclub.com.

I don't know how they do it but somehow the people on the bonnevilleclub forums seem to find new and creative ways to annihilate 3800s every day.

that seriously sucks matt, but at least you are most likely getting it repaired for nothing out of your pocket. I know If the same thing happened to be I'd have to pay for and change the sob myself, so think of it on the bright side that you will have a brand new engine to treat right from day one at no, or very little cost to you.

FWIW and IMO, most dealers do shitty jobs when swapping engines because they want to do warranty work in the shortest time possible. They might even try to bill him for the repairs if the engine didn't have the new style intake gaskets. Hopefully his turns out alright.

It'd be great if he got a new long block, but they'll probably install his heads and intake on a new short block. That's a lot of work for warranty dollars.

It really depends on the dealer.

Most crate engines from GM come as long blocks. The old engine will go back to GM for warranty analysis. This is assuming the car has a warranty through GM and not some third party dealer warranty.

Yeah the warranty is through GM, it's a 2 year/24k mile GM protection plan. I don't even think they did any sort of work on it today. Neither my dad or I heard from the dealer aside from when my dad called this morning. So I guess I have to wait until tomorrow...again.

And FWIW the engine did have the new intake gaskets. And taking the bus to work today sucked. Good thing I don't work for the rest of the week.

Just as a side note........

You may have to wait for an inspector to look at your current engine before GM makes a decision.

You *may* also have to show proof of regular maintenance.

Just going from experience here.

Either way, it might take a bit to get your car back (not to mention they may have to be getting parts from who knows where).

Yeah I knew that I'll have to wait for someone to come out and look at it from GM, and the regular maintenance proof, if needed, isn't a big deal. We have all maintenance records(hell...they do too..)

It sucks because I do my own oil changes, and I usually pay for the oil and filter with cash....so I don't keep the receipts. My dad's searching at home for some receipts for some of them. That will be fucking bullshit if that comes back to bite us in the ass :evil: