My blown motor progress thread.....AGAIN!

Euro

04/06/08

Yeah...today I was out on a cruise with one of my friends from out here at school, and on the cruise I start hearing this tapping noise. Granted, I wasn't doing any WOT runs or anything, I'm pretty sure the car never got above 4k rpms. So we pull off and listen, and it's definitely something knocking. So I got back on the road to try to make it back to school so I wouldn't have to be towed far, and about 20 minutes after us pulling off it sputters and dies. In the meantime knocking like someone was tapping a wrench on a piece of metal. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Wouldn't start, and when it did it had about 10% power. So I shut it down and I called for a tow. I was only 14 miles from school too. Now my car's sitting at the local GM dealer waiting to be diagnosed. So......here's my question....my 63k mile STOCK motor developed what I'm guessing to be rod knock...HOW!? I never beat on my car, even today. WTF could've happened? The oil level was fine, the car had zero running problems prior to today. Anybody know what could've happened? Thank god it's under warranty.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

04/08/08

Update...well, heard today after they tore her down that she had indeed spun a rod bearing, as well as developed rod knock. So, now I have to wait for the warranty company to come out and inspect it, and wait even longer after that. Going for 2+ weeks without a car.

04/09/08

I'm making this an on-going thread to keep track of the daily events on this unfortunate situation I'm in. It'll be an easier way to estimate the time tables, as well as keep everybody informed(and to keep myself organized on this). So for today, the dealer said that GM will be out to inspect within 24-48 hours, which would be tomorrow afternoon at the latest. They will listen to the car, and then give them their opinion as to what it is. They will then ask our permission to tear down the motor, which we will give them, since we really don’t have a choice. GM will come out again after they get it apart and see what the problem is and tell us what they will cover. I am sure this will take at least a week maybe 2. In the mean time for that great news(1-2 weeks BEFORE ANY actual repairs begin) my dad is going through all of his old receipts to possibly find anything that says the purchase of oil and/or oil filter so we can back up our evidence a little more than my oil change "log" that I keep hanging in the garage. He's been successful so far, in contact with Advance Auto Parts to dig up some old transactions through his debit card #.

I think that's everything so far....With what looks like the car is going to be down for at least 3-3.5 weeks. I'm going to try to get something to drive in the meantime. Figures that this is my weekend off of studying, and I don't have a car to drive. I'm already bored as hell.

04/09/08

More for today I guess, just heard from the dealer. GM was out here today and gave the word to pull the motor and drop the pan. I would've done that already, but seeing how GM is pretty well involved in this I guess I'd wait for their command too :rolleyes: . So they should be starting to pull the motor today, and have it all out within the next day or two. Then once GM comes back after that is when we'll know more. Which will hopefully be Monday!!

04/14/08

Just got off the phone with my dad, he just spoke with the dealer. They have the motor almost torn down, they found that the #6 bearing was the one that went. But they haven't found any other damage to the pistons or anything else. The block wasn't damaged at all thankfully, so right now they're in contact with GM to make the final decision, and then I'll hear from them again hopefully within the hour. It's looking like the car will be done by Saturday at the latest.

04/15/08

Well, GM STILL hasn't come back out here to look at the motor torn down, I don't think they could fucking wait any longer :evil: . If they're not out here tomorrow I'm going to flip shit. However, the dealer sent a parts request out for new cam bearings, crank bearings, and main bearings. They said the block and all 6 cylinder walls weren't damaged. He said they saw "scoring" on the cam bearings, how the hell could that've happened with nothing else getting damaged in that area? So, it's looking like it'll be beginning of NEXT week that it'll be done. :bash:

The good news is that I'm finally getting a loaner tonight.

04/16/08

So, kind of a big update. I got my loaner last night, nothing special....a beat 99 GP SE. but that's not the update. I just talked to my dad and the dealership switched their decision from yesterday(look above), to ordering an ENTIRE NEW long block!! They found metal shavings in the oil pump, as well as the oil pan from before, so they didn't want to take any chance of just rebuilding my current motor and end up having to do this shit all over again because of a missed piece of metal. Soooooo GM is covering the ENTIRE new long block. I only pay my deductible($100), and for fluids, gaskets, etc.

Badass...

04/23/08

She's done!!!!! Called the dealer just a little while ago and said the motor's in, they're just cleaning everything up, double checking everything and I'll have my girl back!!! I'm 100% ecstatic. Almost wanted to cry..... :leaving:

Anyway, depending if they finish today or not, I'll have her by tonight. If not, tomorrow morning!!!

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Euro

• 5speedz34

• slick

• 93CutlassSupreme

I thought you were doing a LQ1 swap?

:joke:

I dunno why, sometimes shit happens. My father had a '89 Astro 4.3L that spun a crank bearing at 12K. Be thankful you have a warranty.

That's true. Although I wouldn't care at this point. Just something about the motor being rebuilt or even a replacement motor in the car is going to discourage me :( I'm canceling all my future "performance" plans...and just sticking with appearance stuff. We'll see what the dealer says tomorrow :cry:

Why? I would look at is as a good thing other than the inconvenience. Now youll have a nice rebuilt or new motor for free which is even better to do mods on.

Eh, I just like my cars being "virgins" I guess you can say. This car bugs me just because it's been in a wreck and the left side fender/door/mirror aren't the originals, along with the left side being repainted. It'll just always be on my mind that the motor *may not* end up being the original one.

that sucks....just be thankful for the warranty...in less then 2years from purchase my old Saturn SL2 threw a rod at 38k, 2k out of warranty....that car was complete babied and dealer serviced as well....talk about being pissed off :evil:

That's true. Although I wouldn't care at this point. Just something about the motor being rebuilt or even a replacement motor in the car is going to discourage me :( I'm canceling all my future "performance" plans...and just sticking with appearance stuff. We'll see what the dealer says tomorrow :cry:

Sorry to hear, man. Hopefully everything turns out ok.

I can say, though, that this shouldn't discourage you from doing mods if it's something you've kind of had your sights set on. With the proper care and planning modding can actually make the car run better. Back when I was stock my car was plagued with tons of issues, but ever since the top swap and cam this car couldn't be more rock solid. Just takes the right touch from the right mechanic, I guess. :cool:

Wow.

I wonder if the car was beat on in its previous life?

Make sure its a crate engine. I wouldn't let a non-factory engine discourage me from doing mods. Body parts yes, but not an engine.

That sucks man.. Personally, I wouldn't worry about having a rebuilt/new motor in there though.. Maybe the car will come back better than it was before..

I'd put money on the car being beat on by the previous owner. With how I bought it from the dealer....front/rear brakes with less than 20% pad life, the car'd been wrecked, being a Chicago car.

*sigh*

You had the lower intake seal replaced how long ago again?

IIRC, I read ALL of the time of L36's going out 500, 1000, 2000 miles after an intake seal job. Generally it was caused by the owner not having it replaced soon enough.

It went back in late January or early February at around 61k. It was done under warranty by our mechanic that always works on our family's cars...so it didn't get some shady repair. Why would the motors completely kill out so shortly after?

Edit:: The car never died because of the bad LIM gasket, just one day I noticed the car was leaking coolant where I park at school, so I checked the oil cap and dipstick and they were both that milky, white sort of color. I took it home right after that and it got done the next day. So I don't think I waited too long.

The car never died because of the bad LIM gasket, just one day I noticed the car was leaking coolant where I park at school, so I checked the oil cap and dipstick and they were both that milky, white sort of color. I took it home right after that and it got done the next day. So I don't think I waited too long.

The real question is, how long had it been sitting before you noticed any sort of leak or level drop. Hell... who knows, the dealership you purchased it from may have known it was on it's way out, but filled up the coolant level just a but, ran an engine cleaner through it, changed the oil, and sent it on it's way. It's hard to say really.

Yeah that's true. The puddle wasn't too big, but big enough for me to notice. It was probably as big as the diameter of my hand...5" in diameter if I had to guess.

If it did happen earlier and the dealer tried to cover it up, they did a good job...it lasting 10-11 months before it finally needing to be replaced.

L36 FTW????

I kid, I kid.

Sucks man, L67 time?

Na, no L67 for me. I'd rather not spend the extra money(that I don't have btw) on gas, and it's not worth it to me.