Turbos Boost Gauge Died

shadow

Mine still works but its way off. Usually its down in negative boost. It has an aftermarket one to....not sure how accurate it is, it was on the car when ni bought it. Its a cheapy pep boys one tho, im thinking of getting a new one when i redo my pillar pod.

All the stock ones are pretty inaccurate.. I've never heard of one dying though. Doesn't surprise me, considering all of the other problems our clusters have.

All the stock ones are pretty inaccurate.. I've never heard of one dying though. Doesn't surprise me, considering all of the other problems our clusters have.

Yeah I am wondering if its just a bad connection on the cluster itself. My F150 has a supercharger and I never installed a boost gauge in that truck so I wont miss it in this car.

If the boost gauge isn't working, it is likely that your vacuum source is damaged. Time to start checking for broken, melted, disconnected, or loose vacuum lines and fittings.

Not entirely true Nick. My boost guage is broken as well. But I know I am creating boost, and have no vacume leaks. Its just a bad cluster, which is typical for these turbos.

Not entirely true Nick. My boost guage is broken as well. But I know I am creating boost, and have no vacume leaks. Its just a bad cluster, which is typical for these turbos.

If the boost gauge isn't working, it is likely that your vacuum source is damaged. Time to start checking for broken, melted, disconnected, or loose vacuum lines and fittings.

I said it was likely that it was a vacuum line problem. Often the vac line is disconnected or is damaged at the map sensor. I had this problem with my TGP when I first got it, and that is what the problem was. It could very well be a gauge issue too, since these gauge clusters seem to have so many issues.

Yeah it works sometimes but only for a short period of time plus I think it read really low.

That reminded me, mine would periodically work out of no where too, then go back to not responding. Since I wanted to try my other clusters to find one that was more accurate anyway, I swapped it out, and the turbo gauge responded fine on the replacement one. Certainly couldn't hurt to check your line first. If you find nothing there, then search for a replacement cluster.

I started a thread about what I was planning to do with the gauge cluster if I were going to keep the turbos. I'd still like to follow through with this, though, even though I'm selling them.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=54295.0

• 3 weeks later...

Yes it has been randomly working and not working lately. Should the boost level ever touch +15 ?

Only if the car has been chipped. Stock it should not.

I remember a video of John's stock(besides a K&N filter) pegging the boost gauge. It's not really hitting 15psi though, that's just from the gauge being so inaccurate. My chipped TGP's peg the stock gauge despite only running around 11psi at most.

Like I said before, it could be a vacuum leak.. check all your rubber couplers, especially the ones around the turbo- they get brittle from all that heat.

The boost gauge gets info from the ECM through the MAP sensor, but your car would prolly be running like crap if the MAP was bad or disconnected. It's located on the rear of the plenum, closest sensor to the alternator, right in front of the firewall.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine works when I hit big bumps, and smack the dashboard. The cluster needs to be rebuilt.

Yep thats what mine does too. I am pretty good with the soldering iron so I may get brave and remove the cluster and check it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it has been randomly working and not working lately. Should the boost level ever touch +15 ?

mine did. but IMO don't bother fixing it, cuz it's a stock gauge. And stock is never completely accurate either. Just buy an Autometer or something and tuck it to the side of the cluster. unless you like the factory stock look with no extras, which I can completely respect!

Mine still works but its way off. Usually its down in negative boost.

LOL. THat's because when your Turbo isn't spooling the engine is pulling vacuum ("negative" boost). How else do you expect air to get in there?

Mine still works but its way off. Usually its down in negative boost.

LOL. THat's because when your Turbo isn't spooling the engine is pulling vacuum ("negative" boost). How else do you expect air to get in there?

I was curious about that too...thanks for the answer.

No problem :)

Not too hard if you think about it. I mean the piston rings keep the seal air tight right? So when the engine is on the intake stroke...the piston is going down with the intake valve open...dun dun duh DUUUNNN.. Vacuum!

So ya, that's why most gauges have a boost/vacuum setting, which to me is pretty convenient.

But most boost gauges (aftermarket) are just tapped into a vacuum line. the TGP stock one, as mentioned earlier, uses the readings from the computer that are derived from the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor that detects vacuum, and of course with FI vehicles, boost pressure.