OBD2 Tuning via Laptop

BXX

I did quite a bit of searching... Found tons of cables to connect aldl to laptop for diag and code reading, but nothing really for reflashing/tuning

I know about DHP, but they seem, uh, outta business maybe?? Hell, couldnt find anywhere to buy from them in regards to my vehicle..

Anyone have some info to help me out here..

BTW, my car is a 96 CS 3100...

Yeah the DHP Powertuner is discontinued. For your situation, your option is to go with a '97 PCM (specifically) and run a '97 Buick Century program. You can tune that with HP Tuners programmer.

Yeah the DHP Powertuner is discontinued. For your situation, your option is to go with a '97 PCM (specifically) and run a '97 Buick Century program. You can tune that with HP Tuners programmer.

What is so different about the 96 and 97 PCM's???

'97 PCM is 512k, '96 is 256k memory size, so the program is not interchangeable. It wouldn't matter except that I don't recall HP Tuners being able to read '96 PCM's.

Oh, ok... So just as simple as swapping a 97 Cutlass PCM and flashing it with a 97 Century's programming. Seems simple, do you know off hand if the PCM pinouts are the same??

If not, I can just use the PCM wiring info from Mitchell

actually (I had a brain fart) you could look for a '97 Cutlass Supreme PCM or file too. Most of the PCM's from '97 are identical, meaning you could get one from an H-body, W-body, U-body (van) but the file will be wrong. If you want to run the PCM as is for a little while, you'll need to stick with the same powertrain and body.

Ok, sorry that I may not be understanding this.. But

I just need a 97 CS 3100 PCM, plug it in, and it can be tuned via HP Tuners?? Or will the new PCM still need the Century programming file??

Just tune the '97 Cutlass Supreme file. I just forgot about it because I thought the '97 CS got '96 carry-over parts, but it didn't.

I'm not positive but you could try to contact HP Tuners and see if they added in '96 GM PCM support. The Beretta guys were lobbying for this, I don't know what became of it. That would make your life very easy.

I looked at their site... It shows only 98 up 3100 Century's...

But that doesnt matter, as long as I use the 97 CS's PCM right??? I just have to make sure it is initially flashed with a 97 3100 file such as the Malibu or Lumina??

Here are the V6 vehicles that they support from what is on their website..

97-02 Firebird/Camaro 3.8

00-05 Chevrolet Impala 3.4, 3.8

06-08 Chevrolet Impala 3.5, 3.9

97-01 Chevrolet Lumina 3.1, 3.4, 3.8

97-03 Chevrolet Malibu 3.1, 3.4

06-08 Chevrolet Malibu 3.5, 3.6, 3.9 (3.5 in 07 only)

97-05 Chevrolet Monte Carlo 3.1, 3.4, 3.8

06-07 Chevrolet Monte Carlo 3.5, 3.9

97-05 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8

97-05 Pontiac Grand Am 3.1, 3.4

06-08 Pontiac G6 3.5, 3.6, 3.9 (3.5 in 07 only)

97-05 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.1, 3.8

98-05 Buick Century 3.1

97-05 Buick Lesabre 3.8

97-05 Buick Park Avenue 3.8

97-04 Buick Regal 3.8

97-99 Buick Riviera 3.8

99-04 Oldsmobile Alero 3.4

07-08 Saturn Aura 3.5, 3.6

BTW, I crossed PCM's and it appears looking up a 97 CS shows its only interchangable with a 97 CS and a 97 Cutlass... But I look up a 97 Century and it says it is interchangable with several vehicles, including the Malibu and 97 CS and has a different part number...

Hmm, if you arent able to help me (which youve been doing great help already) then I will CALL HP Tuners... I was gonna email them, but this is something that seems like it would be easier handled by calling them..

ACHIEVA 97 Elec Cont Module (ECM); 6-191 (3.1L)

BONNEVILLE 97 Elec Cont Module (ECM); (6-231, 3.8L), w/o supercharger

CENTURY 97 Elec Cont Module (ECM); (6-191, 3.1L)

CUTLASS 97 Elec Cont Module (ECM); Supreme

EIGHTY EIGHT 97 Elec Cont Module (ECM); (6-231, 3.8L), w/o supercharger

GRAND AM 97 Elec Cont Module (ECM); 6-191 (3.1L)

GRAND PRIX 97 Elec Cont Module (ECM); 6-191 (3.1L)

GRAND PRIX 97 Elec Cont Module (ECM); 6-231 (3.8L), w/o supercharger

LESABRE 97 Elec Cont Module (ECM); (6-231, 3.8L)

LUMINA CAR 97 Elec Cont Module (ECM); 6-191 (3.1L)

MONTE CARLO 97 Elec Cont Module (ECM); 6-191 (3.1L)

REGAL 97 Elec Cont Module (ECM); (6-231, 3.8L), w/o supercharger

SILHOUETTE 97 Elec Cont Module (ECM); (6-207, 3.4L)

SKYLARK 97 Elec Cont Module (ECM); 6-191 (3.1L)

TRANS SPORT 97 Elec Cont Module (ECM); (6-207, 3.4L)

VENTURE 97 Elec Cont Module (ECM); (6-207, 3.4L)

Controller (PCM)

GM $220

Ident: 16217058

Programmable prom style controller. Prom must be programmed at dealership to insure driveability & emission standards.

Located in the right front corner of engine compartment for Achieva, Grand Am & Skylark.

Located in the air cleaner assembly for Cutlass, Grand Prix, Lumina Car, Monte Carlo & Regal.

So those are all the same PCM in 97 model years???

Are they also the same for other model years as well..

BTW, thanks for all your help guys.. Otherwise I would be going with MegaSquirt... But a burned out MS cost about $300... Another used PCM from a JY cost $50 :lol:

Ok... perfect man, really appreciated!!!

well since you posted the pn, im gonna put my hook up at the GM dealer and put him on a hunt to see what all years and models it is the same as... Just to have all the info I can have on the PCM..

IIRC the PCM Part # is 16217058 off the top of my head. If you want it to be plug and play with the correct file (like a used one) you're stuck with the '97 Cutlass Supreme file, or possibly '97 Century, '97 Grand Prix SE 3100, and that's really it.

If you do call HP Tuners, ask them if they can supply you with the correct file you'll need ('97 CS) and if you can change the VIN #. Unlike the DHP powertuner where you can flash any file you want to a compatible PCM (which makes things so much easier), the HP tuner registers the PCM you connect to and I think you cannot download a different type of file to it. So I'm thinking you're stuck with a '97 CS PCM but double check with them. I'll check the tune repository if there's any '97 V6 files available however most people that post up files have a V8.

You also may find answers directly from the HP Tuners forum:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/