Stock radio Choices

shadow

My 1990 TGP has the CD player with EQ radio but the CD player is dead? There don't seem to be any replacements on Ebay. Should I ditch this radio and go aftermarket?

Thanks

Chris

Those are very hard to find in working condition...But cost about $150 or so to have fixed. It depends on if you like the looks of the stocker or an aftermarket unit...

See if you can get it rebuilt or fixed. There is a guy on ebay that does this, you send him your radio, he refurbs it, and sends it back working. Supposidly he even upgrades the DA to allow for burned CD's to play without issues.

IMO, I say get your stock CD player fixed. My '89 Regal also has a broken stock CD player that is hard to find, I like the look of the stock CD player, so I plan on getting it fixed.

Yeah I am not worried about sound as I want to keep the car for the rarity. I will leave it as is for now and just listen to the radio for now. Thanks for the replies

Chris

stock is the way to go. just get cleansweep from JL audio and keep everything. save the $ to repair the cd player or get it done while you can actually.then just get an Ipod and plug it in to the interface. then you can add a sub and another set of components and keep it original.

thats what I am doing. I got a tape deck and TURBO grand prix tapes that came with the car. Its too original to molest.

Do the CD equipped TGPs come with a disc that tells all about the cars features? it should have music in the background and some hot chicks' voice.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductList.aspx?CategoryID=67&ManufacturerID=621

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6359_AudioControl+LC6i+-GRAY+LC6-.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6923_Rockford+Fosgate+3SIXTY.1+-+WITH+1+IN+MODEL+-.html

http://www.davidnavone.com/cart.asp?24&cat=7

If you want to use a factory deck and want a good sound you need to use one of the above. I would recommend the AC unit for price. The David Navone stuff is good also and should do you well.

If you get one of them $10-20 wal mart or the likes cheap line output converters you are setting yourself up for disappointment. They suck.

I would definitely go aftermarket if it were me....the links that Ryan posted a couple up are certainly the way to go if you are looking to stay stock for some reason

I stayed stock on my luminas because I liked the sound of the factory decks... I actually had a couple aftermarket units in both of them (high end Aiwa (before Sony bought them) if it makes a difference).. They sounded good, but if you tried to put out any kind of bass through the stock speakers then it would distort like crazy... I ended up hitting ebay and picking up the stock delco cd players for cheap and the sound they put out matches the stock speakers perfectly.. I get all the bass I want with no distortion, and it looks like it came that way.. I think it's great you're gonna fix that cd player, especially if it's a rare one.

I stayed stock on my luminas because I liked the sound of the factory decks... I actually had a couple aftermarket units in both of them (high end Aiwa (before Sony bought them) if it makes a difference).. They sounded good, but if you tried to put out any kind of bass through the stock speakers then it would distort like crazy... I ended up hitting ebay and picking up the stock delco cd players for cheap and the sound they put out matches the stock speakers perfectly..

upgrade your speakers from the stock garbage :shrug:

I stayed stock on my luminas because I liked the sound of the factory decks... I actually had a couple aftermarket units in both of them (high end Aiwa (before Sony bought them) if it makes a difference).. They sounded good, but if you tried to put out any kind of bass through the stock speakers then it would distort like crazy... I ended up hitting ebay and picking up the stock delco cd players for cheap and the sound they put out matches the stock speakers perfectly..

But I think that the stock speakers sound good, when paired with the stock HU.. I spent less on the CD HU then I would have spent on a decent set of speakers just for the front..

But I think that the stock speakers sound good, when paired with the stock HU.. I spent less on the CD HU then I would have spent on a decent set of speakers just for the front..

I thought stockers sounded decent too, until I bought a car that had a pair of Pioneer 6x9's in the back... they blew the stockers out of the water. I like Pioneer head units because they give you the option of using the rear speakers as mini-subs, which I love because that gives me just enough bass to be happy with, and let me tell you, those speakers sounded excellent, didn't distort hardly at all until I jacked the volume way up. I did not remove them from the car before I sold it, however, and my current hoopty has stockers, which don't perform as well. There's a discernible difference. I'm not advocating Pioneer specifically (unless we're talking aftermarket decks) but aftermarket speakers in general.

Ditch the stockers.

the stock TGP speakers are definately not garbage.

they sound way better than cheesy aftermarket. I know from experience using modern day stuff, nothing has changed.

but my 18 year old equipment still sounds good!!! nobody thrashed it!

I agree the stockers have more bass because they match up better.

• 4 months later...

replace factory speakers with good quality aftermarket you will get much better sound. the factory head units are normally good the weak spot is normally the factory speakers.