what is the best way to tune this amp?

AWeb80

ok, the pic sucks. THe choices are

Level - from 8v to 100mv

Lowpass - 40 - 50 - 250 - 370 - 460

highpass - 65 - 530 - 900 - 1.5kHz - 2.3kHz - 4.5kHz

This will be running my 5.25's components in my doors. Can you explain to me what the settings mean and also how to adjust for the best sound. Thanks

100_1482.jpg

The level is the "gain" setting. It lets you match your headunits input with your amplifier. It is sort of like a volume setter, but it makes sure that your amp distributes power/volume proportionate(sp) with your headunit.

The HPF is your high pass filter. LPF is your low pass filter. These allow you to filter out the high and low sounds, like if you had a subwoofer (you would use the LPF to filter out high sounds) and if you were using component speakers with a subwoofer (you would use a HPF because you would want the speakers to focus more on the highs, because your subwoofer would take the lows.)

If you don't have a subwoofer, there should be an option in the middle, that is none/off (there will be a LPF/HPF/OFF switch). This will send the full, normal, non-filtered signal to your amp.

As for how to set it...most people set it by ear. Turn your head unit up 85% or so, then have a friend slowly turn the gain up until it begins to distort. As soon as it does, set the gain a little before that point. THen, don't go any higher than 85% on your HU (so you don't distort your speakers, then blow them).

That is as best as I can explain this in five minutes :) Check out realmofexcursion.com if you still need help :)

Or you can tune it the right way. Find out where your HU clips, then using that volume, you can dteremine where you gain should be. Most HU clip arouns 75% of the max volume. once you find this out, use a 150Hz 0-db test tone.

Since your amp is 80 watts rms x 2 @ 4 ohms, this is how you figure out what you need on the DMM

80watts x 4ohms will give you 320. The sqrt of 320 is 17.88. Now you know that 17.88volts is equal to 80 watts. now you need to find 17.88volts on your DMM and now your amp is tuned for you speakers.

As far as high pass and low pass, set the LPF at 50Hz and put the HPF on 4.5kHz.

Why would he want to set the LPF at 50hz and the HPF at 4.5k??? He'll be missing the entire range from 50-4.5k, arguably the most audible range of music. I would set the HPF at 50hz and let the component's crossover take care of the rest. I believe on this amp, it's either a high pass or a low pass. Set it to 50hz on the HPF and rock out.

those components wont play anything lower than say 100 Hz so set the high pass at somewhere around that. more like 1000 hz. since they are free air and cant take it like if they were podded.

low pass will not be needed. thats if you are using the amp for woofers and want to cut off highs.

lmao, the best easiest way is to set it by ear. Turn up your headunit to the max before clippage, then turn your gain up until your components begin to clip, then back off a bit.

You'll be fine.

If you want to use a DMM, fine, go ahead. But, read it from JL Audio, not this forum: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=143 .

That was interesting.

Yup. I never post in this section, but I do visit it quite often. I've never seen so much valid information mixed with total bullshit in my life. :lol:

That was interesting.

Yup. I never post in this section, but I do visit it quite often. I've never seen so much valid information mixed with total bullshit in my life. :lol:

and I bet it never dawned on you that you aren't exactly adding any useful information to thread by saying it's full of shit, did it?

I'm ready to hear my mistakes . . .