New head unit suggestions

meltboy1

Well, the time has come for me to get a new deck, my Kenwood is done, won't even play CDs anymore...

I have used Kenwood Excelon for about 7 or 8 years now and will never buy one again, this is my 2nd one, and the 2nd one to have multiple problems with. Now I don't really want anything flashy with a lot of "crap" to break on it. I just want something nice with a decent display, easy to navigate through and plays MP3 CDs. I was thinking maybe JVC or Sony, but have been out of the Car Audio loop for a while and I don't know what a good name is anymore these days. What would you recommend under $200 that is decent, reliable and looks nice?

The only problem I can say with Kenwood is very very very menu based, and the ribbon cable's go bad. Granted, they have gone away from the ribbon cable's, but the menu based options are still horrible.

Otherwise, great decks.

I have pioneer deh4900, I love mine. Its really pretty easy to use and has the direct ipod control and plays mp3cds. Less the $200 at walmart. My brother has my old pioneer cd player which is 7 years old and it still plays like a champ without any problems. I will not own another sony, my sony skipped cds from the get go and didn't have much audio adjustability for the price. I've heard good things about JVC too from many people.

Ya, I am not a huge fan of Pioneer or Panasonics menus, that was the one thing I absolutely loved about Kenwood though, it's just too bad they aren't quality enough. I have heard many good things about JVC, and I see a few of you are happy with them.

I am mainly concerned about menus and user friendlyness, I want something that is easy to navigate through my MP3 folders that isn't too distracting while I drive. I may take a trip this weekend to Custom Sound and wireless to check out what they got. Thank you for your input!

Actually I went out today lookin today and found a really nice Sony for about $200. Does everything I need and looks durable and sounds really nice. I will post the model later, I am not near my car atm.

I have to disagree with you there, I had a sony deck years ago and it was great. Also I had a single Explod 12 and a 400 Watt Xplod amp and it was quite impressive. But hey, to each his own man :)

I have to disagree with you there, I had a sony deck years ago and it was great. Also I had a single Explod 12 and a 400 Watt Xplod amp and it was quite impressive. But hey, to each his own man :)

you must have no "ear" whatsoever for what sounds "good" in car audio

Who said Pioneer was user unfriendly?? Compared with the Kenwood deck I owned, it's the most intuitive menu on Earth.

Seriously, Pioneers, dollar for dollar, have the best features and don't bullshit around with one model having one feature that the model $100 upwards has, at the $200 level. I paid $150 (on sale, the HU formerly sold for $260) for a Kenwood receiver that I couldn't change EQ centering on, that my former $140 Pioneer could.

Seriously, I recommend Pioneer wholeheartedly. Especially if you're looking at Sony.

Seriously, I recommend Pioneer wholeheartedly. Especially if you're looking at Sony.

Although I've had great experiences with JVC as well, Pioneer seems to be a better bang, and IMO they look a lot better.

I heard here that pioneer was the dope shit so I went out and spent $300 on one and every time I try to use the ipod interface I just want to pull my hair out and scream. Its got the super bright ugly blue faceplate that is a bitch to get on in the morning. the volume knob sucks. menus suck. eqs suck.

My old sony deck that got jacked was 40 billion times better to work with in every way. looked way better too.

I heard here that pioneer was the dope shit so I went out and spent $300 on one and every time I try to use the ipod interface I just want to pull my hair out and scream. Its got the super bright ugly blue faceplate that is a bitch to get on in the morning. the volume knob sucks. menus suck. eqs suck.

What the hell Pioneer did you use? I've had a lot of them, from upper ranges to lower ranges, and they were all nice, and I very much liked the volume knobs, they were responsive. Also, the Pioneer faceplates are EASY to get on compared to Kenwood's.

If you're used to Sony decks, and like them, you're going to have a negative opinion on other brands.

OK its a DEH P690UB and it FU'd again today when I went out to the car and started it up, wouldnt come on until I tapped the face a few times.

I guess the thing is a "premier" lol. what a piece of crap.

OK its a DEH P690UB and it FU'd again today when I went out to the car and started it up, wouldnt come on until I tapped the face a few times.

sounds like poor installation to me.....

how did you come up with that assumption? :lol:

I am completely anal about everything on an install.

nobody I know has as much installation equipment as I. GB crimpers, shrink terminals, all loomed. basically bulletproof. koprshield on every crimp to eliminate oxygen. do you do all that? or just have daddy get one installed down at the stereo store?

I tapped the faceplate meaning it was crappy contacts on a crappy faceplate.

oh yea it messed up today temporarily the volume knob stopped working.

how did you come up with that assumption? :lol:

I am completely anal about everything on an install.

nobody I know has as much installation equipment as I. GB crimpers, shrink terminals, all loomed. basically bulletproof. koprshield on every crimp to eliminate oxygen. do you do all that? or just have daddy get one installed down at the stereo store?

I tapped the faceplate meaning it was crappy contacts on a crappy faceplate.

oh yea it messed up today temporarily the volume knob stopped working.

I've never had a problem with my Pioneer faceplate. Trade you decks?? :lol:

Panasonic makes my favorite decks, although some of their technology is behind (no USB, etc.). I also like the JVC KD-AR5500 and Kenwood KDC-X791 I currently have.