Converting battery posts?

gmrulz4u

Back when I changed my alt. and battery, the mechanic told me that if you use the top posts on the battery, instead of the GM side posts, you get a better connection. Is this true?

And if so, can you convert your connections to fit the top posts instead of the side ones?

Also, what's the whole point that GM had by using side posts? I mean, besides being a few inches shorter in wire, what's the point?

It also seems like when it comes to options, there's more in regards to the top posts, ie. gold terminals

Yeah...

I actually realized that a lot of car audio companies sell terminal converters, like Rockford, Stinger, etc...basically you just screw a gold plated top post INTO the GM side post, and voila, you now have the same thing as a regular top post, of course they're STILL on the side though...

I imagine it COULD be true since there MIGHT be more contact area. However, I had a lot more problems with sticky film and crusty buildup on top-post batteries.

It's also easier to get a better connection with side-post batteries... just tighten the bolt with an 8mm socket or wrench. I've had top-post batteries where the square nut chewed up the lead terminal so badly that I had to put vise grips on the on the nut end to keep it still. The lead top post clamps also get pretty boogered up looking. Also, the screw and nut corrodes so badly sometimes that it's difficult to get the clamp off (or back on good).

Provided you have access to the side post bolts (airbox not in the way), I think the side post battery is actually better overall.