wheel trouble.....

Guest GrandPrixlover1

Guest GrandPrixlover1

Hello, lately there has been a clunking noise which sounds like it's coming from the rear wheels. The clunking gets faster as the car goes faster, and it is only noticable at slow speeds. Anyone have any ideas?

This could be a couple things, right off my head possibly a bad wheel bearing or a brake issue.

If the clunking goes away when you press the brake pedal, then you have a stuck caliper. If the clunking gets worse with the brakes applied, then your pads are worn down to nothing.

Guest GrandPrixlover1

Yeah, I went to the mechanic today and they said i have a broken strut on the right rear, and a warped rotor. :-(

they said that struts cost 180.00 a peice, along with new brakes, rotors, etc I think I'm looking around the 500.00 range

and can anyone say "broke college student". :lol:

Well, technically, you could let the warped rotor go, although it's probably one of the easier things to replace. As for a "broken strut", that can be dangerous as it tends to hold the top of your wheel. If you've got friends/family near by with a garage, this is a possible DIY project. Do both sides though...stuff like that needs to be symmetric to the car.

I put both rear struts and strut mounts on my car for about 120 from autozone. Rotors are around 20 bucks a piece and brakes are like 15 to 20 bucks. Now if you don't do the work yourself your looking at spending lots.