Downpipe/Turbo Bolt Removal

The Burning Rom

I have a question about one of the bolts in the downpipe/turbo. It's the bolt on the bottom of the dowpipe that joins it to the turbo. I can feel it with my hand, but I can't get a wrench in there. Is there any easy way to get to the bolt? :roll:

no.

:evil:

well when I took that bolt off my car, the downpipe was already disconnected from the exhaust and it was still a pita.

Guest fatguy

If my memory serves me correctly, I used a swivel socket then a 1 in enxtension then a u-joint and then a 12 in extension to get that one out. Remember to wiggle the downpipe as you remove the bolt to help loosen some of the tension on it.

Good luck

YES! I don't remember which extension I used, but I have the normal 3" and a special shorter one, 1.5" I think?

Anyway, I got one of those pivoting ratchet wrenches. A pivoting ratchet and the correct length extension is all you need to get the bottom bolt.

Thanks for the info guys.

I removed the turbo..rebuilt it..and reinstalled it all in 1 day :shock: I haven't run it yet though. I just hope that everything is still balanced. I marked the housings and wheels with a paint pen before I took anything apart, so everything should be ok. Hopefully oil doesn't leak through the seals anymore though :lol:

While I had the turbo out, I also found out that the line to my vacuum reservoir is melted off :shock: It's strange, because my car runs fine under boost...when it would need the reservoir most. Oh well...that's something to fix later I guess :roll: