Crossover

god910

I am wondering why the x-over has to be flexible? The 3800 that I have been looking at doesn't have a flex, just solid metal. Any input would be great, I could most likely have a x-over fabbed up by the local diesel shop for less than JeffM's. Not that it's not worth it, but everyone says, he's backed up. Just checking my options.

The heat soak and constant extreme heat changes with a turbo on the manifold requires some fleability. N/A cars do not have the extreme heat cycles like the turbo cars...thus the need for some flex. Otherwise the exhaust manifold would certainly have stress fractures in it... 8)

That and the stainless that the xover is made of to take the heat expands far more than regular steel. So the more heat is that much more expansion.

Do you have a TGP God910?

Do you have a TGP God910?

Well, I'm working on it. I have an engine coming from a yard that Shawn told me about. I just have to have it shipped up here. I am also working on acquiring a GP, the one I am looking at is an 89 that is white, it has no drivetrain, and I can get it for $50, just working on a title right now. The reason I asked was because I'm not sure of the life expectancy of any x-over and the engine I have Shawn said was complete except for an x-over. So, naturally that's the first thing I am thinking about until I actually have it here.

Just a guess, but I also think the aluminum heads has something to do with it. All 60-degree V6's with aluminum heads has at least 1 flex joint on the crossover. The 3800 has iron heads.

I asked about the TGP, because unless you have a core pipe, you can't get a new pipe from Jeff. So you may need to plan elsewhere for your pipe if you don't have one.