2000-2001 OSV Oldsmobiles

IRONDOG442

I never liked the Alero, I wasn't fussy about the Intrigue but I think the Shortstar was a step in the right direction with the behind the scenes specs.

The 442 white and gold with the square grills looks like they had 2 grills and couldn't find a good place to put them so they said ... FINE stick em on the front ... HERE *whap*.

The Red on the Intrigue looks nice. I was playing with pencil and paper of what a Cutlass Coupe would have looked like if the Intrigue Sedan allowed for one. I was going for a late 60's ideal and staying away from the 90's Cutlass Supreme.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IRONDOG442

• AWeb80

• Euro

• ManicMechanic

The reason why Olds got the axe was because of obvious idiotic board members and pushy media people. There was a rumor going round that a GM division was getting closed out. The rumor pitted Saturn (at the time not selling well) and Oldsmobile (losing $$$). Rumors hit the media and after one board meeting, some camera monkey pushed an exec into spilling the beans about who or what was going and the media got a rushed 'Oldsmobile' even though it was not finalized. When the news hit it was the deciding factor and so Olds was shut down.

I think Saturn should have been cut because at the time they were just not hitting the mark despite some minor innovations and orphaned platform use but to kill off the longest running name in automotive production because some people can't make the right decisions is just ... well it's GM for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this cuz I finally got thru it!

Opinions: The bodies look great (not all the grills look great though) as do the performance platforms, but I don't like any of the non-monochrome paintjobs. So sad to have lost Olds. Let's just say that if I were running GM, things would be different! Watching Olds die was like seeing your favorite TV show die; first they stop promoting it, then they change the time, then they throw in some new character who doesn't work with the cast, and then :bawling1:

The Red on the Intrigue looks nice. I was playing with pencil and paper of what a Cutlass Coupe would have looked like if the Intrigue Sedan allowed for one. I was going for a late 60's ideal and staying away from the 90's Cutlass Supreme.

Stevo, did you save any of those sketches? They sound very interesting.

• 1 month later...

After GM showed the OSVs and its sisters show cars they went on tour at the Los Angeles International Auto Show and were also shown on May 23, 2001, at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (just a few days before the "Greatest Spectacle in Racing"--the Indy 500) a special display was put on by Oldsmobile. The Olds Aurora was the Official Pace Car for the 2001 Indy 500 and the Oldsmobile Bravada with the new Oldsmobile designed 275 horse straight six was also the Pace Truck for the race. At the display were a variety of Oldsmobiles. This display included all of the Oldsmobile IRL track support vehicles including a special semi tractor trailer which hauled these around and two fully functional 3.5 liter v-8 Aurora powered Indy race cars as part of the show. They also had cutaway Northstar motors on display and after the race that weekend ALL OF the show cars were loaded up into a trailer and forgotten about. They were driven into a warehouse in Milford Michigan covered and sat untouched for a few years. here are some pictures of that event at Indy and the warehouse with the cars sitting in it.

Mvc-024s.jpg