1994 3100 Head Swap To Newer.....

AWeb80

I've Read Around And Am Still Confused As To Why I Can't Do A Straight Across Head Swap From A Newer 3100 Because I Have To Grind Some Stuff Away.....What Is It About A 94 3100 That Keeps This From Being Really Simple? Please Explain This All The Way Through. I'm Not Looking At Doing A Head And Intake Swap Untill I Have To.....Aka, Blown Head Gaskets. but i'd like to know what exactly needs to be done.

Ok....So All I Have To Do Is Grind The Lower Intake For Clearance? I Was Thinking I Had To Do Something With The Rockers Themselves. Other That That, It's A Direct Swap Eh? What Year 3100 Intakes Do I Want Then? I Know A Local Friend With A 95 Gp 3100 Did This Swap And Didn't Have To Grind Anything. And His Plenum is smooth with no lettering on top.

Ideally you want a 2000+ 3100 which is equal to a 3400. The reason he didnt grind anything is he got the head/intake combo that were made for each other. Hence 95 heads with the fulcrum roller rockers and the 95 intakes with that provision already designed into them for clearance. It makes absolutly NO sense to swap intakes and swap in the small port. I would ban you from this site if you did that and Im not even a mod!!

But if your going to swap heads and intakes, swap 2000+ 3100 or 3400.

He Swapped To 3400 Heads. Not Sure What Year. I Thought There Were Certain Years That The Egr Would And Would Not Work For Me. What Is The Best Combo For Me? A 2000 Plus 3400 Right?

Any 3400 will work for you. HOWEVER the 2000+ plenums flowed MUCH better than the 96-99 plenums. While the heads and LIM remained the same.

You can get an EGR adapter from the 60*v6 store. ( what Im going to get as well )

WAIT.......So, If I Got 2000 Plus Heads And Intakes, I Wouldn't Have To Grind Any Thing.......It Would Just Be A Direct Swap.....Other Than The Dealings With The Egr. I'm Confused.

WAIT.......So, If I Got 2000 Plus Heads And Intakes, I Wouldn't Have To Grind Any Thing.......It Would Just Be A Direct Swap.....Other Than The Dealings With The Egr. I'm Confused.

You are correct. Its a direct swap. Only thing you will need is an EGR adapter.

Ah. Cool. Now I'm Itching To Do The Swap.......But I Really Don't Want To Fix Something If It Isn't Broke Ya Know.

I hear ya. its much easier to build a motor then swap it in. Then your not tearing into a good running engine. However, 3400's can be had on the cheap end! ;)

Ya, I Could Have A 30K Mile 3400 Localy For $500. But, I'm The Person That If I Do A Tad, Them I Go Too Far. I'd Have To Do Everything. Cams, port and polish, springs, you name it, i'd go off the deep end. lol

Thats what I have; cam, pushrods, springs, P&P, TB. Plan how much you wanna spend on mods, what your Budget will be, and use that to determine your mods. your in the same boat as me with OBD1.5 so you can do too much without swapping to OBDII