• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CutSupreme93

• White93z34

• Psych0matt

• joey b

Shop time is 3.5 hrs give or take. They should charge about 120 for the alt plus 150 for labor.

3.4L Engine

NOTE: Vehicles with the 3.4L engine will also be equipped with an alternator cooling fan behind the right side headlight, used to cool the unit through a duct hose.

AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE VEHICLES THROUGH 1994

1.Remove the air cleaner assembly.

2.Disconnect the negative battery cable.

3.Remove the serpentine belt.

4.Remove the coolant recovery reservoir and set it aside.

5.Unfasten the upper alternator stud nut and remove the power steering pipe retaining clip from the stud.

6.Loosen the upper alternator stud.

7.Raise and safely support the vehicle.

8.Remove the front tire and wheel assemblies.

9.Unfasten the right engine splash shield upper retaining clips, then pull down the shield.

10.Remove the upper alternator stud.

11.Remove the cotter pin and lower ball joint castle nut from the right lower ball joint, then separate the lower ball joint from the lower control arm.

12.Remove the metal halfshaft shield retaining screws, then remove the shield.

13.If equipped, detach the knock sensor electrical connector.

14.Disconnect the right halfshaft from the transaxle.

15.Remove the front exhaust pipe and converter assembly.

16.Unfasten the lower alternator mounting bolt.

17.Remove the alternator rear brace-to-alternator bolt. The bolt can best be accessed using a 4 ft. (1.2m) extension through the left side wheel well opening.

18.Remove the alternator rear brace nut from the engine. The nut can be best accessed through the right wheel well behind the alternator.

19.Remove the alternator from the mounting bracket.

20.Detach the electrical connector from the alternator.

21.Unfasten the battery wire nut from the alternator stud, then disconnect the battery positive lead from the alternator output terminal.

22.Remove the alternator from the vehicle.

Alternator mounting  1993 3.4L engine shown

34alternator1tv0.th.gif

To install:

23.Attach the alternator electrical connector and battery wire to the alternator. Tighten the mounting nut on the battery wire to 71 inch lbs. (8 Nm).

24.Position the alternator and loosely install the mounting bolts. If the replacement alternator does not fit into the bracket, remove the adhesive-backed shim from the rear of the alternator bracket.

25.Install the alternator rear brace, cooling duct bracket and mounting. Access the bolt through the left wheel opening using a 4 ft. (1.2m) extension.

26.Tighten the mounting bolts as follows:

Rear brace bolt to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm)

Rear brace nut to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm)

Lower mounting bolt to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm)

27.Install the remaining components in the reverse of the removal procedure. Make sure all components are tightly secured.

28.Connect the negative battery cable.

Follow the instructions exactly and you should have no problem. I don't think you really have to torque these bolts down.

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU!

If you have trouble with remembering where things go, take pictures before you disassemble things. I do this, that way if there is a problem just go back to your pics and problem solved!

Wow $700 is a LOT of money. You could buy a set of wheels with that. Damn, even a whole new suspension. It doesn't seem to hard once you read all about it. Just keep rereading the notes and instruction and have at it. I couldnt imagine being that hard. I saw my buddy do it twice on Christine. I'm just damn lazy and he wanted to help. I guess I just got lucky with nothing to do on a week night.

Yea PB b'laster blows the doors off wd-40 I just started using it and it works every time. If you take your ratchet and put a pipe over the end of it it will break any bolt loose or break the bolt altogether so be careful.

PBCatalyst.gif

thx for the help it much appreciated.

ive got the belt off but still tryin to get the rear sub frame bolt off, my buddy is coming over tommarow with his tools to see if we can get it off.

This process does not require lowering the subframe. Attempts to remove subframe bolts may cause breakage of the subframe bolts!!

1. Remove serpentine belt

2. Jack and support car

3. Remove front right wheel

4. Remove front right brake and assembly

5. Using a 35 (or 36)mm socket, remove hub nut

6. Separate balljoint from lower control arm. Separate outer tie rod from knuckle assembly. Remove axle from hub bearing (you may have to pound it it. Pulling may separate halfshaft= bad news)

7. Remove 3 bolts from strut tower and remove knuckle assembly.

8. Remove halfshaft protective housing.

9. Remove halfshaft from the transmission. (I use a 10" prybar for this.)

This should provide adequate space for the remaining of the removal.

Reach up behind and near the middle of the car. There is a clip that holds the cooling duct to the alternator. Release the clip.

There is a 10mm bolt on the back of the alternator. You can use 4 ft of extension (seriously) to remove. Wratchet wrenches are very useful for this project. THIS REAR BOLT WILL BE THE BIGGEST PITA TASK OF THIS JOB. (I have chosen to not replace the bolt and have had no problems with such. Many have done the same) Remove remaining 2 bolts, cable, and wire harness.

I think that covers it all. Should take about 3 hours with air tools. I would guess about 4 hours without. Not really too complicated of a task, IMHO.

I was thinking that I had notched the frame just to get an impact on there....

yup. Guess you might as well add "Grind notch in frame" to the list. Didn't have to remove much at all. Hit with a little primer after wards and no rust!

ok so finally got out to losen the rear sub frame bolt due to the flu and the damn thing is starting to strip! :evil: so am i totally screwed or is there a way to still get it out?

ok got the rear sub frame bolt off and the top bolt and bottom bolt of the alternator off but have no idea how to get the rear bolt off to take the alternator out. any ideas?