04-up GM deck in older GM cars

ihateallmustangs

"Deck"? You mean radio? If so, this is in the wrong section. I'm moving it based on that assumption, and try to be more specific next time.

If you did mean radio, what older car are you talking about? A lot of GM's newer radios are double-din, and double as a DIC/setup input/chime module piece rather than simply a radio. They are multifunction. They might work in an older car, but you'd have a bitch of a time getting it to work properly, and you almost would need the BCM from the car it came with, as I'm sure they have some sort of theftlock interlock with the BCM.

I work at a GM dealer, so I could see what I could find related to this topic.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want it really really badly, you could always also install the BCM and hook up only enough wires to run the radio! Not worth the effort IMO, but I did consider it for my truck as an option for installing a newer GM navigation radio. You would also need to have the radio reprogrammed to match the VIN stored in the BCM.

If you want it really really badly, you could always also install the BCM and hook up only enough wires to run the radio! Not worth the effort IMO, but I did consider it for my truck as an option for installing a newer GM navigation radio. You would also need to have the radio reprogrammed to match the VIN stored in the BCM.

Hey Shawn, you ever get a chance to play with that Matrix/Vibe nav set up you bought?

Hey Shawn, you ever get a chance to play with that Matrix/Vibe nav set up you bought?

Funny you mention that, I just found a Lexus/Toyota nav DVD available for download on the torrents that MIGHT work on it.

I hadn't actually done anything with it yet though. Finding a nav DVD is almost impossible and I'm not dropping $200 for a new one. There was a guy on the Lexus forums selling illegal copies for $25. I contacted him and he offered to send it to me in advance and I could pay him for it if it worked, but I made the mistake of mentioning the radio came out of a Vibe. He said he would never deal with another Vibe owner ever again and quit replying to my emails even when I told him I don't have a Vibe, just the radio out of one. I guess he got screwed over by some Vibe owners or something.

Funny you mention that, I just found a Lexus/Toyota nav DVD available for download on the torrents that MIGHT work on it.

I hadn't actually done anything with it yet though. Finding a nav DVD is almost impossible and I'm not dropping $200 for a new one. There was a guy on the Lexus forums selling illegal copies for $25. I contacted him and he offered to send it to me in advance and I could pay him for it if it worked, but I made the mistake of mentioning the radio came out of a Vibe. He said he would never deal with another Vibe owner ever again and quit replying to my emails even when I told him I don't have a Vibe, just the radio out of one. I guess he got screwed over by some Vibe owners or something.

I work at a GM dealer - want me to see if I could get you a NAV DVD that might work?

Edit: also, PM'ing you a link.

I work at a GM dealer - want me to see if I could get you a NAV DVD that might work?

Edit: also, PM'ing you a link.

Thanks for looking into it. This is a weird one though, it apparently needs a Toyota/Lexus nav DVD!

GM does sell one that's about 4yrs old, but on the Genvibe forum, someone said the current Toyota/Lexus Gen 3 nav DVD works.

slightly off topc, but will the slightly older like 01 thru 04 1.5 din headuntis work in the 1st gens, and if so, does Gm or someone sell an adapter for them. ive seen some decient units out there that have the 2 black plugins, 1 big and the other smaller, dont know the pin count but they are quite nice and i wish it was just plug and play

• 1 month later...

slightly off topc, but will the slightly older like 01 thru 04 1.5 din headuntis work in the 1st gens, and if so, does Gm or someone sell an adapter for them. ive seen some decient units out there that have the 2 black plugins, 1 big and the other smaller, dont know the pin count but they are quite nice and i wish it was just plug and play

I would like to know this too , it seems some 02-and up sunflowers/venture vans etc have a player with these plugs.

i dont know i like the cd players in the blazers with the add on cassette player. we took on out of a 99 malibu and put it in a 95 sunfire and it worked perfect but wouldnt mount in my cutlass damn it

i dont know i like the cd players in the blazers with the add on cassette player. we took on out of a 99 malibu and put it in a 95 sunfire and it worked perfect but wouldnt mount in my cutlass damn it

The Cd player Fit From my silverado to my Grand prix. And acctualy.. Looked pretty good if you did not mid the color contrast or if it was day. And it was plug and play :)

radio.jpg (as i was sticking it in waiting for my cd player to come for my car lol)

this is the one that techinicly was aon option on my car, but im thinking of the newer version then that, its not plug and play, but is 1.5 din and uses 2 black connectors that are long