Convertible with manual transmission

j_mezz

Anyone know if Olds ever made a convertible with a manual transmission? I've got a junky 1988 cutlass with a 5-spd and was thinking about dropping the tranny into a 93 convertible...any reason why it wouldn't work?

there is no record of them ever doing so.

someone has made a 1990 vert into a 3400 5speed.

there is no reason why you could not do a complete transplant from your 88 donor into a 93... but you may investigate whether you have an upgraded chip for your 88 that gets away from the #@^*& MAF.

Go for it! I'd love to have a 5-speed hooked up to mine. It's weird, they actually made a few sedans with LQ-1 and a 5-speed, but no ragtops. I've seen the sedans for sale before every once in a Blue Moon.

That's kind of what I figured - it doesn't look like there's any added support brackets to support the conv that would prevent any of the trans parts from mounting. But that leads to my next question...would it be possible to use the 3.4 from the conv with the manual and digital gauges from the beater?

oh, and what's a MAF?

Thanks!

theoretically... YES!

it will bolt up, but it would be a hell of alot of work. the 3.4 was intended to be used with a 284, ande not a 282. It may not hold up well against the stronger 3.4.

the 88 and some 89s(iirc) use a Mass Air Flow sensor that was known to be unreliable. you;ll see it linked inline on the intake schnozzle.

theoretically... YES!

it will bolt up, but it would be a hell of alot of work. the 3.4 was intended to be used with a 284, ande not a 282. It may not hold up well against the stronger 3.4.

the 88 and some 89s(iirc) use a Mass Air Flow sensor that was known to be unreliable. you;ll see it linked inline on the intake schnozzle.

quatsch.

The 282 is holding up plenty fine behind turbo motors, and numerous 3.4s, 350s etc in Fiero swaps. The gearing won't be optimal but you'll have no problems with it, it would be no different than hooking it up to a 3.1.

theoretically... YES!

quatsch.

The 282 is holding up plenty fine behind turbo motors, and numerous 3.4s, 350s etc in Fiero swaps. The gearing won't be optimal but you'll have no problems with it, it would be no different than hooking it up to a 3.1.

:thumb: good info! you make my gears turn!