WTF harmonic balancer

dohc v6

Ok so i got this nice new motor, but for some reason both of our rebuilds leak oil from the harmonic balancer. i checked and its not the pan gasket.I replaced the balancer at $200, not cheap and still no fix. i put rtv on it, still did not fix it. Do I need to have a sleeve machined so that it can slide over the pully. I replaced the seals on the timing chain cover so i dont think that its this. How do i fix this?????

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dohc v6

• BXX

• 19Cutlass94

• pwmin

well theres only so many things that would cause this... most being the seal, oilpan gasket, or the RTV on the inside sleeve of the balancer and the keyway on the crank. I assume you used alot of RTV and you did let it sit overnight at the very least to set before you started it correct?

The RTV drying time is MUCH longer than an hour. Pull the balancer off, put fresh RTV on it and let it sit overnight. Im willing to bet thats your problem. Its the same reason that when doing LIM gaskets on the 3x00's you let it sit overnight cause of the use of RTV

The RTV drying time is MUCH longer than an hour. Pull the balancer off, put fresh RTV on it and let it sit overnight. Im willing to bet thats your problem. Its the same reason that when doing LIM gaskets on the 3x00's you let it sit overnight cause of the use of RTV

X 2 !!! in an hour RTV is still very, for lack of a better word, not dry.

go get a can of "the right stuff" and let it cure for about 12 hours. I have never had that stuff fail on a simple oil leak. if the seal isn't seated right, no amount of RTV will fix the job

they should make a repair sleeve for it. that might help.

Yup, and that's what he needs.... Along with a new seal, make sure to use a GM part or a Timken part... And quit usin RTV... RTV isn't gonna seal a crankshaft seal leak :willynilly: The crank has a seal for a reason

Damn worked for me. Umm I went to advanceautoparts.com and looked up crankshaft seal and then i went to rockauto.com. Both have seals reanging from 8-40$ and they both have sleeves, but I just need to know what one to buy so that I can get these oil leaks fixed and move on to tuning.

Uhhh, fel pro I used on the whole engine and for fixing all my friends cars, but damn I dont think they make a good oil pan gasket for the 3.4, I dont know though. Also I used the fel pro crank seal and its leaking. Any other brand that some one might suggest?