best 6x9's

synistershadows

alright so im looking into getting some nice 6x9's for my cutlass what are some of the better sounding ones for the car the way its designed?

im really likeing the Infinity Kappa's and can get 2 at a really good price.

any suggestions?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Garrett Powered

• synistershadows

• 19Cutlass94

• Ryan from Ohio

The best I've heard so far are what I have set up in my car. The PolkAudio DB690's aren't cheap, but they sound excellent. The only thing is, they're made for mid and high range sound quality, not bass, so expect to install a sub along with these if you want a decently balanced sound system.

alright so im looking into getting some nice 6x9's for my cutlass what are some of the better sounding ones for the car the way its designed?

im really likeing the Infinity Kappa's and can get 2 at a really good price.

any suggestions?

What do you have powering them? Stock HU? Kappas are 2 Ω speakers. The factory amp isn't going to like that all too much. Get 4 Ω speakers for factory headunits.

well i got a Pioneer - P6900UB and was gona power with that till i can save a lil cash and get a smaller MTX amp i think 2 chan i dunno im still new to this whole audio thing

well turns out that this guy that i got the rears off of had a earlier GP and had the whole set up so i got 2 inifnity Kappa 6x9's and 2 Kappa 4x6's for $200 so now im just gona go out and get the 2 4" for the dash and a small MTX amp to power everything

a small amp to power 6 speakers? uhhhh, how about no!

remember, you want an amp with equal RMS output as your speakers RMS input. lower than that and they wont sound as good as they should. higher than that and you risk blowing them.

a small amp to power 6 speakers? uhhhh, how about no!

remember, you want an amp with equal RMS output as your speakers RMS input. lower than that and they wont sound as good as they should. higher than that and you risk blowing them.

Even with a lower amp, you still risk blowing them if you severely under power them.

i have an amp running kappa 6x9 3-ways and they put out decent bass and sound good, but i may go w/ a good 12 later on. i'm sure you can buy better speakers for less money if you venture out of the realm of the commonly-known.

I spent $300 for infinity speakers that I dont even use anymore... Figure out what you wanna do cause audio stuff aint cheap ( for something decent )

:lol: I got piles of old stereo equipment. I find that it always gets recycled in my friends and family members cars. everyone knows to come see rick.

you know what though. $200 is nothing. under power them, over power them. see what you can do with it. thats not THAT much $$$. experiment a little. really its the install that matters. if the equipment cant handle it, its not because its a little under or over powered, it was just crap anyway.

always check e-bay

FWIW its not gonna sound to good with the back speakers amped and the fronts not. You are much better off amping the fronts. You want the sound coming primarily from in front of you, not from in back.

yeah well now i jsut gotta find some brakets for the speakers :willynilly: there a bit bigger :confused: and then save and get the 4" for the front then save for an amp

I have 4" JL Audio speakers in the dash of my Lumina. For the price I paid they are fantastic, though they are 3 years old almost they still sound great and I abuse them most of the time, although I'm using the crossover in my Kenwood deck to limit the bass going to them since they can't handle very much without making a not so pleasant distorting sound lol.

I have 4" JL Audio speakers in the dash of my Lumina. For the price I paid they are fantastic, though they are 3 years old almost they still sound great and I abuse them most of the time, although I'm using the crossover in my Kenwood deck to limit the bass going to them since they can't handle very much without making a not so pleasant distorting sound lol.

The Polk Audio DB5250 front 5.25 component system (two 5.25" and two tweeters) comes with a crossover so you don't ever have to worry about adjusting that. You basically adjust the crossover for the rear 6x9's.

The Polk Audio DB5250 front 5.25 component system (two 5.25" and two tweeters) comes with a crossover so you don't ever have to worry about adjusting that. You basically adjust the crossover for the rear 6x9's.

you still have to tune the woofer to an enclosure or it will respond to bass just like any other woofer and start popping at high volume.

so basically, yes he would have to still worry about adjusting that.

Just get a component set for up front and subs for the rear... dont even worry about rear fill.

what if he does not want an empty feeling from no rear speakers? I have heard the difference and its always better with rear fill. its a four seater car right?

ideally you want all your sound to come from up front. With a good set of components you shouldnt be able to hear a difference. Ive had people ride in my car when Ive had no rear fill and it doesnt bother them or me. I also dont have rear fill cause the area of the 6x9's allow that much more bass/'pressure' if you will into the cabin

you could still at least put some tweeters back there or some coax 4s or something. dial them in so you barely hear them so they dont take away from the front.

The only reason I can see to put something back there is so people sitting back there can hear something... and no one really sits in my backseat anyways.. so for me its useless

:lol: I would want something back there even if I was driving a fiero.

damn what is it with you. even home recievers all are 4 channel. thats the bare minimum for surround sound.

all else is childsplay.