W-Body chick needs help!

Wen313

Hi everyone. :biggrin: My name is Wendy ~ I'm somewhat new here to the W-body (this is my 1st post anyways) and I could use some advice with a problem that I'm having with my 1995 Lumina. (I'm a new W-body owner as of April 2007 and know very little about these cars and the problems that they're potentially known for.) Any information that you might have to pass along will be greatly appreciated.

Here's my dilema ~ It appears to be some kind of pass key/security issue, or so I would assume. On ocassion (and more often than not) upon sticking the key into the ignition to start the car, the dash/dummy lights will come on and you can hear the fuel pump engage but I get no turn over whatsoever. Not even as much as a clicking or ticking sound ~ which indicates to me that this is not a battery issue. Also, as long I allow the car to sit for a period of time (10-20 mins) before trying to restart, she usually starts right up. With winter coming, I don't want to be left in the cold with two kids in the backseat waiting and wondering whether or not it will or wont start and quite truthfully this is really starting to get frustrating, as it's made me late to Dr's appointments and a few other important appointments! :mad: I've tried cleaning my ignition keys with rubbing alcohol and using a cotton swab dipped in alcohol to clean the contacts in the ignition thinking that they were dirty and not getting a good connection. This did not seem to help. Another note to add here ~ At times (however, not always) once the car starts, the Security Light comes on and will stay illuminated until the car is shut off.

I'm not sure if this is realted, but it may very well be (it's logical.) If nothing else, it may change the course of action that needs to be taken to remedy this problem ~ Therefore it's worth mentioning. I purchased this car with an aftermarket remote car start/keyless entry previously installed. (I bought the car from my cousin who owned and drove it for 4 years. He said that the remote start and keyless entry were on the vehicle when he purchased it.) It appears to be of a generic store bought model with no brand name, so sorry that I can't elaborate more here if that information should be of importance. The remote itself is grey in color, shaped like a boom-a-rang, and has 3 buttons ~ 2 small dark grey ones and a larger green one. (Doubt that's helpfull, but dammit, I'm trying.) My husband was able to locate a small toggle switch under the dash near the emergency brake pedal that dissables the remote start. The remote start does work whenever the car isn't giving me problems upon start up (we just replaced the batteries) but the remote wont start the car if the key wont start the car, even if you take the key out of the ignition first. We've tried dissabling the remote start via the toggle switch under the dash and then restarting when the key gives us a problem and that doesn't seem to make a difference either.

I'm thouroughly baffled and have no idea what can be done to fix this. I'm wondering if having my ignition changed would be helpful or if I should just completely remove the aftermarket remote start and hope that my problem magically disapears. I'm assuming that the pass key/security system has already been bypassed otherwise I wouldn't think that the remote start would function at all. Then again.. I could be wrong.. What do I know? I'm just a girl that doesn't like to get her fingernails dirty. :lol: I thank you in advance for any suggestions that you might have for me. Have a great day and thanks for reading my post.

Wen313

I had a similiar problem with my first gp. I thought it was the starter at first soo i changed it. That didnt fix the problem so i tried a few other things that didnt fix it either. Eventually i took it to a dealer where they told me that the little chip in my key was loose and it wouldnt make good contacts with the ignition at times. I bought a new key (which was expensive for a damn key) and that fixed my problem. I dont know if this is gonna help but its worth a shot.

My starter (both old one and new one) intermittently decide not to start, but the solenoid clicks. usually only when hot. There is a writeup on the Passkey, and how to bypass it, someone should have a link soon, I'll look for it...

Isn't there a writeup somewhere about disabling the PassKey system? But...I'd have to wonder if that would leave the remote start DOA because I'm willing to bet she wants that feature. (At least I love mine!)

The remote start should already be bypassed... I know a guy who doesn't have his bypassed and he has to leave a key in the car all of the time if he wants to start it remotely!

I would say check the key for shits and giggles, then start to look into the remote start system. Something may be going flaky...

The remote start should already be bypassed... I know a guy who doesn't have his bypassed and he has to leave a key in the car all of the time if he wants to start it remotely!

I would say check the key for shits and giggles, then start to look into the remote start system. Something may be going flaky...

That key is in a bypass module. It is only reading resistance when the brain of the remote starter asks it to. Otherwise, the person cannot just enter a Home Depot cut key and start the car.

But... you can program the bypass module to send the proper resistance at all times. Never done in my bay, unless the customer specifically requests it (and why would you want to request it anyways?)

BTW, like I said, the VATS may be bypassed depending on how the remote starter was hooked up. If you still want to retain the VATS with a remote starter, you use a relay, with the proper resistance value in line, along with the remote starter. Thats the way I do it, I never totally bypass the VATS, unless it is a pre-existing problem.

That key is in a bypass module. It is only reading resistance when the brain of the remote starter asks it to. Otherwise, the person cannot just enter a Home Depot cut key and start the car.

Do you mean the guy I know has the key in the bypass module? If so, no it's actually in the ignition whoever installed crap in his car really rigged it up :eek:

I would start by checking your VATS wire. Look under your dash for a orange or black wire. It should be cut and on the side where the wire goes to the cars computer (rather then to the ignition) check to see if there is a resistor soldered in there. If there is and it doesnt seem loose then try replacing it with the new one. Measure the pellet on your key with a multimeter in case the one in there is not the right resistance. O and it looks like nichole (montecarlochick) finally has some competition on here hahaha!!

Do you mean the guy I know has the key in the bypass module? If so, no it's actually in the ignition whoever installed crap in his car really rigged it up :eek:

It just had no bypass in it then. What kind of car>

No, by a bypass module, its what the remote starter uses to read the key resistance, send the proper signal into the ignition, and allows it to start without the key actually in the ignition cylinder. It's pretty much the only way to do a lot of mid to late 90's and early 00 vehicles. Mid to late 00 vehicles actually have Make specific modules that are able to read the ignition data, program itself, and control a variety of features, other than just the remote start (locks, door triggers, trunk, lights, horn, etc....).

Isn't there a writeup somewhere about disabling the PassKey system? But...I'd have to wonder if that would leave the remote start DOA because I'm willing to bet she wants that feature. (At least I love mine!)

1st off, thanks guys for the replies thus far.. I'm wondering if hooking up to a diagnostic's computer would give me any answers or if there would be any risk of blowing up the diagnostic's computer by attempting to do so :lol: ~ Sheesh!!

In responce to the above quote ~ While the remote car start feature is nice to have, I'd be willing to tear it out and part with it if it will get rid of my problems. Sometimes aftermarket stuff like that tends to be more hassle than it's worth.. If for whatever reason I can't seem to figure the problem out, and granted I end up fit to be tied, look for my W-body listing on E-bay! LOL! Do I hear a starting bid of 15 hundred?? :lol:

BTW ~ Help me out here guys.. What exactly is a VATS wire?

This kid pwns u all

HA HA HA!! It's baby Gracie Pie!! Hi there, sweetheart!! Auntie Wen misses you! Tell Mommy and Daddy to bring you over sometime for a visit. Those tiger ears rock my socks! Loobie and Annie have some too! :mrgreen:

Rob, I don't know why you just don't meet up with her at your guy's parent's place, and figure out the problem with your code reader?!? Wouldn't that make life a bit more simple? LOL

Rob?!? Do anything for me?!? Yeah, and the cheeks of my ass might grow together.. HA HA!! He's my brother.. My younger brother at that. I used to be bigger than him and the poor bastard sustained more ass beatings than I care to shake a stick at. Pay backs are a bitch, hey? I asked him to fix my turn signal issue too.. He said he would do that because it's more important than the pass key/security issue but WTF good are working turn signals when the car wont start or run?? LMAO!! :lol:

Soap Box house of cards and glass, so don't be tossin your stones around !!! Isnt that right Shawn Chris's brother???

In the meantime enjoy this picture of Krazy K... WINNAR !!! Rob and Jay are the phunniest!! They'll be here all night folks!!!