25 lb box cant hurt a W-7?

Garrett Powered

I was getting groceries and I dont have a grill for my W-7. well to make a long story short, a box that was sitting on my amp slid off to the side and fell right on the cone. I had the volume up and everything when I drove up in the parking lot. It didnt sound any different maybe a little muffled.

I get out and pop the trunk and started freaking. they are only $300 to rebuild, but I dont want to spend it. its a 5 year old sub and works very hard every day.

I dont think It hurt it and it still plays, but I was going to enter it in the ground and pound 2 class=1-2 no watt limit tonight and now I dont know..

Its at 6:30 tonight at the Mcintosh dealership. do you guys think I should do it? Or just chill and be glad its not blown?

I need to get some nerf bars or some type of grill for it. stuff usually doesnt slide on it unless I stack it up on the amp.

2056262_191_full.jpg

2056262_192_full.jpg

I have to go shopping 2 or 3 times a week for my business and its usually 3-4 hundred in food. the box was a 25 lb roll of meat wrap for the heat shrinker. so its pretty much stupid of me to not have some type of grill.

Cant you put that stuff in the back seat?

Id simply tell them you cant be using your vehicle?

I sure hope you charge them your due $.37 a mile for use of your vehicle...

If you are sure of your setup and its proven, cant see any harm in entering a competition.

hit 135.6 db

2056262_193_full.jpg

to clear things up...this car IS the business vehicle. the back seats are full with groceries. I got a broken monoleaf from hauling so much stuff. :lol: free lowrider!

bump...

so, Is that good? bad? average??? for a sub that was pounding with a 25 lb box sitting on it the previous day?

I never been to a DB drag race before, but I tell you what that shit was fun. Imma go back and hit better next time, the guy I lined up against hit a 145.5 and won 1st in window breakers (0-1500 watt) with 3 15s in ported concrete pillar forms. he helped me with the gains which were way too low I guess, and it started pounding harder than ever. but I had to leave and missed the second round, ended up in 8th place or some shit. so def. room for improvement next time around.

came back later and saw the show winner in unlimited hit 150.1. then left and went down to the summer jam 07 rap show at the underbridge which was free, met up with friends who helped talk my girlfriend and I into going to Taboo (bar) where girls gone wild auditions was going on. everyone from the db drags was there including dude that hit 150. we got hella drunk and since hes sponsored might sell me a mmats 3000 watt amp for $300. we were all talking about his system with the installer, guess his memphis 15s have like 5 1/2 inches of cone throw and $2000 each. he has 8 of them in the suv pictured above.

I pulled a 135.X with two 10 Arc Audio ARC series that had cracked/repaired cones...lol

So for a W7, its not good.

it should be in the upper 140's.

The box man. The aiming is no good whatsoever.

for a sealed box? all sq set up? I was told by the shop I bought it from that if I ported it I could probably hit 140 if my car was smaller.

I am pretty happy with how I did up against a few other cars there with more subs than me.

BTW, I am positive that if I ran it again now I could hit a few higher.

and nobody there had broken 10s hitting anywhere near 130 so that story is gotta be lies. or maybe in a tiny VW bug its possible. :lol: or the mic was in the port.

besides all that, I am not into spl at all. I will admit that it was fun and I will do it again every year and try to improve on that. but there is just no way in hell I will port my enclosure or build a ported enclosure. I can still turn it up and have an earache but I love the low lows more and the freq. range at reasonable levels of listening.

so yea, I am still pretty happy with what I have and how it is aimed and the box(pod). just need a nerf bar over that bitch. :smile:

Hell.... I've seen single 12's, that are supposidly much less quality than JL's stuff, do into the 150's.

Lemme put it to you this way. You pretty much paid 3-4x as much for a level of sound as someone that would walk into your big box retailer and get.

At work, the general system that I install is a low to mid 130 db range system, and I NEVER get to install anything of decent quality.

Which also reminds me, my W6 that I had, put into a pretty nice SQ box, was doing right about 140. Had it been in a better box (well, meant for spl), I know it could have gotten into the mid to upper 140's. I guess it would have depended on how far I would have taken it.

Well I cant find my old score on Termpro anymore...

Anyhow I got 3rd.

The guys that got 1/2 had 12's. 2 12's to be exact.

Second place was a guy from my board, we went to the competition together. I think 1st was like 141, 2nd was 138 and I was 135.5 I remember...

Sorry Im not seeing the pic of the box either. It was a small box, about 1.5 cubes or so and I had a variable port plate. 3" ports, dual. Was slick shit. I set my frequency on a mic and tuned into it hard.

People were surprised...

Umm.... no, not lies. I know of single 10's that can do 150's.

well now I know something fishy is going on here. the show winner in domination class hit 150.1 with 8 (eight) memphis 15's.

....so unless that was one hell of a 10 then I dont think the mic is the same.

this is what 150.1 looks like on this mic.

2056262_194_full.jpg

a full size suv crammed full of the most bad ass subs I have ever seen. $2000 each. they said they are underpowered, but they sure didnt sound like it. the poor truck was rattling so much when it hit, Im surprised the sheet metal wasnt all warped after that.

memphis audio? theres a guy on the J boards sponsored by them. amazing glasser. i dont like how they look, but they are apparently pretty good. im sure you could buy better for slightly more money, but come on, you get what you pay for.

memphis audio? theres a guy on the J boards sponsored by them. amazing glasser. i dont like how they look, but they are apparently pretty good. im sure you could buy better for slightly more money, but come on, you get what you pay for.

Yeah, his name is Tim. I've bought stuff from him before, nice guy.

As I said above, more money doesn't always mean better or louder.

yea if better means pushing out your windshield

and louder means blowing out your eardrums.

I would rather blow out my windows, warp the sheetmetal, and please the hell out of the crowd and WIN the competition than have the loudest car on the planet that I cant drive and enjoy because I be deaf from spl.

see what Im sayin????????

SQ > SPL.

but at the same time.... spl competitions benefit the SQ lovers. because he may someday sell off those subs and I will buy one and throw it in a SQ system.

.... you can buy a 66 GP and strip out all the luxuries and acid dip the frame and swiss cheese it and run quarter miles. but you really would be missing the point of having this beautiful car.

Mark Potts.

Eventhough hes a complete ass wipe, he can make a single 12 Type R do 154 dB on the termpro...

Guy on my board makes his own subs now. He has 4 15" subs in a wall in a 4 door buick regal doing into the 150's

Maybe the people in your area are just tools?

I dunno, SPL has a cool factor but its not my cup of tea. Most cars the install is hideous and straight ghetto.

well then he could have beat 8 memphis 15's and made that guy look like a tool! :lol: yeah right.

big deal, I have never seen Alpine make a good SQ sub anyway.

Mark Potts.

Eventhough hes a complete ass wipe, he can make a single 12 Type R do 154 dB on the termpro...

Guy on my board makes his own subs now. He has 4 15" subs in a wall in a 4 door buick regal doing into the 150's

Maybe the people in your area are just tools?

I dunno, SPL has a cool factor but its not my cup of tea. Most cars the install is hideous and straight ghetto.

Whats he charging for that sub anyways?