New headliner

GOT2B GM

Had the headliner done in the TGP this past Thurs. They had the car for about 5 hrs and it cost me $280 CDN. It was really the only part of the interior that needed attention.

Old:

DSC00190.jpg

New:

DSC00191.jpg

DSC00192.jpg

DSC00193.jpg

I had it done at a place called Herman's Auto Trim in Kitchener. They color matched the OEM fabric, with fabric from an aftermarket supplier. Then they removed the headliner from the car, and stripped the old fabric, foam and glue from the backing material. Then they glued new foam and fabric to the OEM backing material, and reinstalled the headliner.

You honestly can't tell the difference between this and a good OEM headliner.

Its too bad about the hazy pics, they don't do it justice!! I saw this the other night, it looks amazing in person. I'll bet it stands up better than OE too! lol

I'll be looking into taking the GTP to the same shop when/if I get interior work done!

Jamie

Looks good Matt. The headliner in my TGP was redone back in March 2003 when Rick5638 on the board still owned the car. It was done by a place called "Gotcha Covered Auto Upholstery, Inc." in Woodstock, Georgia. They charged $153.00(US of course) for it. It looks just like it came from the factory. They listed the material as being "beechwood" in color(it looks exactly like the "light beechwood" that came in the car. I think pretty much all the headliners from W's with sunroofs like ours go to crap over the years. My '93 SE with no sunroof still has the 100% perfect original headliner in it with over a quarter million miles on the car. I drive with the windows down in the '93 all the time except when it's blazing hot(like this time of year :lol:).

Im going to try that.

what type of foam?

I heard you can buy kits to do it yourself.

Search on the other board and use LukeZ34 as the "author." He posted some information on the TGPForums before about a headliner kit he ordered.

I had to redo mine too after I bought the car...it was sagging down on top of my head! A local trim shop quoted me $200 out the door, or $100 if I removed it myself, and brought it into them.

I decided to go the cheaper route, so once I had it removed, I decided to see if I could do the whole thing myself too. Turns out Jo-anne fabric in the states sells foam-backed headliner cloth by the yard in an assortment of colours. I brought in one of the sunvisors to match the grey, and found one pretty damn close. The fabric was cheap as hell (I don't remember how much, but you probably could have got a double cheeseburger at McD's for about the same price! lol)

The most expensive part was the $15 can of "super-duper-last-forever-headliner glue"

Anyway, the final result looked very factory, even to my picky eye. I get a warm fuzzy feeling when I think of the $200 bucks I saved...

Until I realize I blew it on something else! :lol:

yeah.....I'm not that modivated and I knew this shop does nice work so why not.

But I can vouch for you and say that your headliner did turn out very nice!

If you can afford it, just go to a reputable upholstery shop. That way if you're not 100% happy with the result, they can fix it til you are 100 % satisfied.

looks great. ive looked a few places (including jo ann) to find the right charcoal stuff but couldnt find any of the right stuff, let alone ANYTHING that was the right color. anyone else ever get any to recover themselves? i just need to do my sunroof sunshade as the rest is still in good shape.

looks great. ive looked a few places (including jo ann) to find the right charcoal stuff but couldnt find any of the right stuff, let alone ANYTHING that was the right color. anyone else ever get any to recover themselves? i just need to do my sunroof sunshade as the rest is still in good shape.

Paul, here's an old post from Luke from the TGP forum.

"Or do it yourself.. It is NOT a hard job.. Jess and I did the headliner in her TGP, took about an hour to do.

Go to http://www.autoheadliner.com and purchase their standard $50 headliner kit. It comes with a huge roll of the headliner, and a can of some damn good glue.

Remove the headliner board from the car, being careful not to destroy it.

Remove the fabric

Remove the old headliner foam with a steel bristle brush (having a shop vac helps)

Put the new headliner on 1 half at a time, spraying glue on the board, and the foam backing of the new headliner fabric.

Wait about a few hours before you install it back in to the car.

It was amazingly easy, and neither of us have done one before. Right now we are in the process of recovering her visors with the same headliner fabric."

sweet, thanks. i might just order one and do the whole thing anyway if i cant find anything or get the 9 ft one and just do the sunshade so ill have enough for WHEN the rest starts to sag. sorry for the derail. theres a local shop that did my camaro a few years ago, but it was black. i may see if they have the right color fabric, too.