Source of switched 12v

PCGUY112887

Slick its funny that you posted those pics. I put a start in a windstar at work today, when i pulled the dashpanel off i found that there was already a starter in it, a Bulldog pos. Whoever did the install did it just like you do. Thats the first time id seen an install like that. I use scotch locks (which is what PCGUY was describing). 2 of the installers at my work use t-taps and ill use t-taps if the car already has the end on the wires from a previous starter that was in there. Ive seen soldered ones to, but never the way you do it. At that point why not just solder?

Takes time to heat the gun, heat the wire (I don't cold solder my wires), while trying not to burn yourself with a soldering gun sitting next to you while your laying on your back under the dash.

The method I use is tried and true.

No high end shop will use t-taps, nor will shops that don't want there customers coming back. Take an extra 5 minutes to do the job.

Yea i hate trying to solder wires when under a dash. I only do it on small wires, like on new GMs with circle plus or the skinny wires on new toyota rav4s for example.

Very rarely do cars come back to the shop i work at cuz of a bad scotchlock or t-tap connection. The only time ive seen a wire cut by one is when the wire is very skinny, which is why i solder all small gauge wires.

Yea they sure arent makin it any easier. Are the new GM trucks the same? I havent done one of those yet.

Colorado/Canyon's yes. I haven't got to touch a fullsize yet, but most of those are coming with remote start from the factory anymore.

Yea ive done a colorado and whatever the isuzu version of those trucks are called. Those factory starters on the new fullsize trucks have pretty poor range. There is a module you can add on that extends the range, i did one on a subruban, very easy install.

Yeah, when I was with one of my buddies with a new GMC fullsize, he couldn't remote start it from that far of a distance.

I can get two city blocks of range with my Avital alarm system. Thats a heavy tree lined street too. Try finding a street around this area without any trees, good luck. I like being able to start my car from my bedroom, that is above ground level in my brick apartment building, when my cars half a block down the street. covered in 2" of snow. Sweet!

Make sure you get a good horizontal as well as vertical range.

Yeah, when I was with one of my buddies with a new GMC fullsize, he couldn't remote start it from that far of a distance.

I can get two city blocks of range with my Avital alarm system. Thats a heavy tree lined street too. Try finding a street around this area without any trees, good luck. I like being able to start my car from my bedroom, that is above ground level in my brick apartment building, when my cars half a block down the street. covered in 2" of snow. Sweet!

Make sure you get a good horizontal as well as vertical range.

We are talking FACTORY remote start, not aftermarket.

I could do my old Z34 through an old brick building.

my best tip is NEVER use taps because although they are very easy they are very bad, they damage the wire and all you have to do is move the tap on the wire a little and you lose connection therefore wasting time and money

Does everyone complaining about wire taps ACTUALLY know how to pick the right size tap, and crimp it properly?

Personally, I wouldn't use Slick's method. I've seen many wires that were once twisted together come apart.

Personally, I wouldn't use Slick's method. I've seen many wires that were once twisted together come apart.

My method is the most widely used, and recommended method, by person's that have been in the installation business for 30+ years.

The wires are not just twisted. The wire is first put through the wire, then wrapped around it. Taped over, and then zip-tied to ensure that the tape holds, and the tap holds as well.

My method is the most widely used, and recommended method, by person's that have been in the installation business for 30+ years.

The wires are not just twisted. The wire is first put through the wire, then wrapped around it. Taped over, and then zip-tied to ensure that the tape holds, and the tap holds as well.

To each their own.

I've seen more bad than good Stereo/Electronic store installs

I guess my installations are just horrible then.

That must be the reason why I have nothing return, until the customer finally messes with the settings. That also must be the reason why I am the only installer in my entire district (40+ installers, several nationally recommended by suppliers for installation capabilities) that have NO damage claims.

That must be the reason why I have nothing return, until the customer finally messes with the settings. That also must be the reason why I am the only installer in my entire district (40+ installers, several nationally recommended by suppliers for installation capabilities) that have NO damage claims.

No, remember? Mine are, because I don't know what I'm talking about.

Not saying yours are either, but to me it sounds like your saying I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Not saying yours are either, but to me it sounds like your saying I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Chris, I was not attacking you personally, and I never said your work was garbage.

All I said was that's not how I personally install auto electronics because I prefer other methods.