Crank position sensor

asonofabeach69

What is the difficulty level in changing a crank position sensor for a 90 TGP? Does anyone have a writeup on how to change it, also do normal parts stores carry a cps.

thanks guys

The dificulty could be ranged anywhere, on a scale of 1-10, from a 5, to a 10..

5 if the sensor just comes out nice and easy, with no issues. Very few have, but there are a few.And you are working completely blind.

10 if the magnet breaks off in the sensor hole, which commonly happens. Then it becomes a MOFO cause there really isnt anything to grab onto, and now you HAVE to replace the sensor. One of our members drilled a hole into the sensor, screwed in a screw, and extracted it that way.

Yes, most parts stores should carry it. All you do is rock the engine forward, unbolt the sensor, pull it out (hopefully it comes out nice) replace it with the new sensor, and rock the engine back. That was a very quick writeup.

To replace the CPS, rotate the engine forward and remove it from the top. You'll see it on the passenger side of the engine bay about inline w/ the alternator. A small bolt holds it in place(8mm or 10mm in size, I can't quite remember which). If you still have trouble getting to it, remove the alternator(with it's bracket attached to it).

EDIT: I typed that before reading the whole post and just realized that Nick typed most of that out already. :lol:

The CPS part number for the AC Delco sensor is "10456555." Advance Auto parts can order these for you if you want to go with an OEM sensor. If not, they normally stock other brand sensors that should work just fine.

I've done them twice, both in under 10 minutes. The hardest part is getting the enigne forward. That being said, my arms are freakishly small lol. Just find the spark plug in the middle on the side closest to the firewall, and reach down as far as you can. Feel for a wire; there may be another wire too. But you will feel the wire going into a clasp, and then into the sensor, which is being held in by an 8mm bolt. Tight squeeze, make sure you move slowly so you don't knock the tiny wrench you're using down...or lose the bolt. It only takes like two turns of the bolt and you can turn the rest by hand. After that, slowly pull the sensor out; kinda like doing a spark plug wire and you're afraid the end might rip off lol. after that, installing the new one is a sinch! Let us know if you need anymore help. BTW, if you have a 1989/1990 Turbo Grand Prix service manual, they have it listed (with a picture) on I believe the last page under the Cranking section...I'd have to check.