what are the best tires?

wickb55

first i havta say this site is awesome, since i found it ive tried to read as much of it as i can and try to pick up some knowhow. anyways, i have a 96 cutlass supreme sedan and im looking to put on some sportier tires. i have the stock wheels on there now and i wanna find something that will fit them. any suggestions? thanks for the help

I love my michelins, but not many people wanna spend that kinda money...

That or Yokohama. I have those on my TGP, and LOVE them..

I've got goodyear regatta 2's on my xlaces, and I have Fuzion ZRIs on my konigs that were cheaper then the Goodyears and I think they are a better tire FWIW

I second the Yokohamas. I've got AVS ES100s on mine, they have excellent traction and aren't very expensive at all. They're pretty much a summer-only tire though.

tirevr3.jpg

I have Yokohama Avids on my TGP and love em!

I have these as well, and equally as pleased. Im on my second set actually.

Yokohama Avid V4S to be exact.

If you want an even sportier tire and have more dough to spend, i would suggest Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S, or the Avon Tech M550 A/S. these are both 'Ultra high performance all seasons'. you can find them on Tirerack.

I also love my Michelins. Best damn tires I've used on my car, and I've tried a Lemans SR, a Falken Ziex, and the first tires were some Yokohama tires. They're Michelin HX MXM4, but they're REALLY on the pricy side, at $200 a tire for my size. You can get them for as low as $165 a tire for other sizes, but they are expensive. Still, they're extremely good. I can stop in the rain with these as well as I used to be able to on dry pavement with the Lemans SR.

first i havta say this site is awesome, since i found it ive tried to read as much of it as i can and try to pick up some knowhow. anyways, i have a 96 cutlass supreme sedan and im looking to put on some sportier tires. i have the stock wheels on there now and i wanna find something that will fit them. any suggestions? thanks for the help

First, welcome to the foum! Please make yourself at home! (but keep your feet off the server!) :lol:

Anyway, for tire research, go to Tirerack, and you'll find all you need. If you're thinking about moving to a non-stock size tire, see this site first: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

As for myself, here's my tire experience on my cars:

Chevy - currently, it is wearing Michelin MX4s. Great tire, very good wear, offers modest performance along with comfort. But, like all Michelins, very pricey (too pricey, IMO)

Infiniti - Came with OEM Bridgestone Turanza EL42s. OK grip/noise level, but really wore out after 32K miles. Do not want. Replaced all of them with Yokohama Avid V4s tires, and could not be happier. Excellent grip, rain or shine, and a quiet ride as well. However, these have to be rotated on time, or they wear down too fast.

falken ziex ze 512 - awesome tire, cheap, awesome reliabilty never had traction or slipping problems in snow.

it loves rain, dry or snow. definitley recomend them.

As you can see, different people like different tires and it depends on what they use their car for. Thus, like has been mentioned, reading reviews on tirerack and even here is a good place to start. I have Goodyear Eagle GT-HRs and I really like them. I've had them for 2? years. Wear is good, dry and wet traction is good and snow is not that bad for a directional tire. I got a good deal, though, on these tires (I know a distributor) which is one of the main reasons I got them. Just shop around.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for all the suggestions. I'll check out tire rack and see what I can find. I live in Cleveland so I will def. need something that can handle snow, hopefully I can find something in my budget

Yokohama Avid Tourings are what my wife put on her Sebring convertible this winter and she did not skid at all thru some pretty brutal snow.

When the Olds needs new rubber, that is what she's gonna get!!

ok just checked tirerack.com, seems the Yokohama AVID H4S(88$ each) would make a good choice. Thoughts? also 225/60HR16, is this for sure the right size for my 96 cutlass supreme 4D? Thanks again for all the help

yep those would be a fine choice. ive driven them thru 1 foot of snow with very little problem.

those should be the right size, but just double check by looking at what size you have on there now.

best tires ive had are toyo t1-s (summer uhp), however theyre not made anymore. theyre replaced by t1-r which are supposed to grip better, but only have a 100 treadware rating, where the s tires were 280. im not too fond of the p-zero rosso's on my cobalt. the mastercraft avenger lsr's and sensys 01's have been decent "all seasons". im going to try toyo proxes 4 on the cobalt when these stockers give out.

My newest purchase: Bridgestone 215/60R16 Touranza's provide a fantastic ride - sporty, smooth AND quiet. My last set, 225/55R16 Dunlop Sport A2s were great tires as well. The Touranza's were almost $200 CAD a corner, however.

ok just checked tirerack.com, seems the Yokohama AVID H4S(88$ each) would make a good choice. Thoughts? also 225/60HR16, is this for sure the right size for my 96 cutlass supreme 4D? Thanks again for all the help

I'm quite sure that you would be very happy with these.

I have some older Hankook performance all season tires on my Lumina...ride super nice..check that brand out too..

And of course my muddin' tires for winter haha

Michelin best tire on planet... I love mine too!!! Now rolling them in the winter again as well as summer.

XGT Pilot Sport summer, XGreen Michelin in winter, X Ones are also great tires.

I have kuhmo ecsta ast's and i love them over those junk toyo tires.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i've had 2 sets of CUM HOE'S and both sucked in rainy conditions i might as well of had slicks. Tire wear with Kuhmo's suck as well, that is why they are cheap. MY Toyo's are 1000% better than even my old BFG

Yokohama's are about the best bang for the buck.