Compressor/ac question

19Cutlass94

Ok, so I had to put a new condensor in the car because the other one, well a nice screw went through it. So now the system is completely empty. What wires on the compressor do I need to jump so that I can engage the compressor and fill the system? I believe there are 3 wires, not sure of the color off the top of my head. Any imput is great

Thanks

--Jay

you shouldn't have to junpstart any of them. you should be able to fill the system and when the compressor sees adequate pressure, it will engage itself.

you shouldn't have to junpstart any of them. you should be able to fill the system and when the compressor sees adequate pressure, it will engage itself.

yup, I wouldn't recommend jumping any wires, or you might be replacing the compressor next.

I think he will have to bypass the low pressure switch. I had this problem on a Saturn, the compressor won't engage until it has SOME pressure and you can't get pressure until Freon enters the system

I think a 94 uses the same three wire transducer as my 96 Regal uses.

You are not supposed to be able to jump the transducer and make the compressor clutch engage.

Once the transducer sees around 30psi in the system it will tell the PCM to engage the AC clutch relay.

The safest way to engage the AC clutch is to pull the cover off the relay and push the contacts together.

Thats correct, you need to make sure to have your system vacumed out, and then filling from the low side port, adding some R134a. About 1 can into it, your compressor will kick on. Should take about 2.5 cams to fill in total..

I know its only a 2lb system. So 2 cans and some pag oil will be more than enough. But I know there needs to be a certain amount before the compressor will engage. my dad seems to think that you need to engage the compressor, but if it needs to be vaccumed, then I *should* be able to hook that up, start with the freon and the compressor should engage correct?

yeah i had to do a ford contour yesterday and the only way i could get the compressor to kick on was to bypass the pressure switch until it had pressure. Works every time :mrgreen:

most GM vehicles will just accept the refrigerant. turn on the A/C system to max and then blast the fan, then connect to the low side port. it willl automatically depressurize the can and enter the system to a certain point, then the compressor will engage and empty the source.

manually operating the relay FTW. doing so bypasses all the safty crap.

bypassing the pressure sensor will not work, as it is lookin for a specific reading... You will discover that the Ecm actually knows the exact pressure of the ac system in it's data stream output.

most GM vehicles will just accept the refrigerant. turn on the A/C system to max and then blast the fan, then connect to the low side port. it willl automatically depressurize the can and enter the system to a certain point, then the compressor will engage and empty the source.

So then your basically saying just fill it up the way I normally would? As if it was just low on freon correct?

correct, but depending on how old it is, you may just want to have the system vacuumed out and then have new pag oil and refrigerant installed, or do it yourself after you have it vac'd out.

i need to get a vac pump.

my solution for not having a vac pump was to simply vent the first can of r-134 back out the high port. then totally recharging the system... but that is ghetto.

The reason for vacuuming the system is to remove any residual moisture, would venting a can of refrigerant out the high port actually accomplish this?

Oh yeah, it's illegal to vent refrigerant, even 134A!

Thats not a problem to get it vaccumed out. I believe we have all that stuff here. Just need to go get some freon and pag oil.

Thanks