3.4L Cam hold down tool

bwagner0609

I'm getting ready to change the timing belt on my wifes old '95 Grand Prix - 3.4L. Luckily these engines are non-interference (from what I've heard) so it should run fine once I'm done.

My question is about the stupid cam hold down tool. What a ripoff - $137 for two pieces of metal with a bolt stuck through it?? Has anyone made their own tool for this? It looks like from the picture on the internet that I can just make my own set out of some wood.

Any thoughts...

It's from Kent-Moore

"Camshaft Timing Tool - 3.4L DOHC Engine" - Special Tool J-38613-A

$137 (or around there)

They are basically just two pieces of metal that hold the cams stationary so you can move the sprockets and time everything up correctly.

I'm just wondering if anybody has made their own - I'm sure someone has

so, youre just interested in stock timing... i made 2 tools to hold down just one cam on each bank myself...was pretty easy, but i also had access to ones like you mentioned. someone on another site is having them made. they would be cheaper (~$88) than that and allow you to change the timing from "0/0" to whatever you want

http://60degreev6.com/showthread.php?t=33966

I don't want to change the timing at all - just get the thing back together and running so we can sell it.

The belt broke a few years back while she was starting the car and it's been sitting and waiting for me to get the time to repair it.

thanks for your input though

that was officially the dumbest post I have ever read. Because when the belt breaks you need to retime the engine.

Come on Clint, you should you know this...

that was officially the dumbest post I have ever read. Because when the belt breaks you need to retime the engine.

I read his post and just giggled

I read his post and just giggled

x2. but i did more then that. :lol:

LOLOLOL!!! x2!!!

Doubtful, very very doubtful.

[me=Psych0matt]didnt ever use cam hold down tools[/me]

which is why psyc0matt paid how much for someone else to retime his engine :lol:

[me=Psych0matt]didnt ever use cam hold down tools[/me]

which is why psyc0matt paid how much for someone else to retime his engine :lol:

hey now, that was after an engine swap with a different setup. Did it 4 times before that without a problem :cool: I now have new marks, so theoretically I should be able to time it again without tools.

i never broke a belt so i never knew that

Doubtful, very very doubtful.

do you have a problem with me or something?

Well - :willynilly:

you're right - a derailed topic

No one has really had a good answer. Looking at the picture of them on the net, they look like a flat piece of metal with a bolt in the middle.

I guess it doesn't matter now anyways since I already purchased them.

if anybody wants a set when I'm done - I'm sure I'll never use them again

i wouldve bought the timing tool from you. i guess you just needed it cuz the other one wouldve been cheaper but you wouldve had to wait.

what you mean no one has had a good answer?