• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• phantomFE3

• Brian P

• per0781

• ismellrealbad

i would laught if that was funny, however it was not. go back to the drawing board (or in your case, the etch a sketch) and sketch me a your mom joke thats funny :wink: :twisted:

i would laught if that was funny, however it was not. go back to the drawing board (or in your case, the etch a sketch) and sketch me a your mom joke thats funny :wink: :twisted:

I guess you'd need to be half asleep to laugh;....anyway speaking of, dont expect me on for the next few days as I have 2 jobs for this week only (overlapping) and basically working 8am-11pm for the next 5 days!

yeah essentially 64 hours in 5 days Mornings at bostonmarket nights at costco....it's $ alright plus time and a half on sundays. I LOVE fucking costco!! gnite

well i think it looks decent. Hell theyre all better than what I got :) I probably will get an intake after i get a new cat (or ram a pipe through the origional) and get new mufflers.

Looks like your intake is very close to the exhaust manifolds. Why don't you build a heat shield that will keep the heat from the exhaust manifolds away from your intake?

i finally got my "custom cold air intake" done, total cost of operation: like 5 bucks for a can of spray paint! i got the pvc, metal strapping and the screws from my dad for free

coldairintake.jpg

tell me what you think, you like it? i know its not the best dob but its good enough for me

dont use metal tubing for your cold air intake, metal = heat transfer and thats what your trying to avoid

Only metal tubing should get used. PVC will melt at 180 degrees F and when it warms up, it lets off a fume and this fume will go into the intake plenum.

I read this on a webpage:

DO NOT use PVC pipe to make the intake piping. PCV piping is not heat tolerant and will melt and release toxic fumes when exposed to under hood temperatures. Plus the ID of PVC piping is much smaller than 2.5" because it is very thick.

u guys suck

hey bro, dont take it personal, we just here to help you out. Believe me, with my time on the board, i've learned alot whether thru harsh, direct, and sometimes insulting criticism and praise for a job well done. The peeps on the board will not lie or insult you *well not ALL the time*, but give you each their own and honest opinion. Some members here are more open-minded and others are fucking SENILE! :D j/k!!!! Either way you benefit from both

Like they said, it either looks good or gets the job done...keep your head up and don't get discourage.

I think some aluminum tubing painted with some of that heat resistant paint stuff (dont know the name) is the way to go. I agree, even if you used the aluminum tubing, you should put up a heat shield around it. Exhaust temps right at the manifolds are extremely hot, way more than the 180* PVC can take. You dont want to suck in hot air, you want cool dense air.

Robby

the best way to go would be to use the stuff that K&N uses for their FIPK cold air kits. I really dont know what it is exactly but they dont melt! (when installed properly) I know this for a fact *goes out and pops the hood on the Dodge* yep no melting yet after 2 years and it seems to be a plastic material

Phantom: bro i had made an intake like urs and i was satisfied for a while but i was looking for more. heres what you can do. Call up Midas (you have midas where u are right?) and ask them if they have any 3" Aluminum pipe. (usually truck exhaust pipe). if they do, ask them if they'll sell u a foot of it or something. if they don't call another midas. buy it straight, not bent. I called a Midas on the other side fo town and bought a foot of this amazing THICK aluminum pipe for $10. I marked it for them and they cut it for me. Then i went to another Midas near my school and told them that i was working on a Marketing class project (it actually was for a marketing class) and that i needed them to mandrel-bend the pipe to 45 degrees. they bent it and cut it again for me and then i filed off the sharp edges, went to Canadian tire and bought a 3" to 3" rubber plumbing connector for $5, stuck the APC filter that i already had on the other end and there u go. Hot air intake that sounds like a FUCKING ANIMAL. later on (for marketing class) i bought a few cans of manifold paint (the ceramic, heat treated kind) and i sprayed away on the metal and gave it a few days to dry. pulled off an 85% in the class and had an intake just like one i could have gotten from RSM but for much less.

theres my story. learn from it....if u want.....yah.

sounds sweet, we dont have a midas, the auto parts stores we have here:

champion auto

napa

auto value

tuffy's

and thats about it i think, when i got home tonight from walmart after racing that laganza i checked it out and i felt my pvc, it just felt a little bit warm, and i checked it as soon as i got out of the car, so it didnt have any time to cool off, maybe its because my fans are running all the time!?!? i dont know if that is normal but whenever my car is running my fans are going, i havent checked to see if they go when the car is in aux. mode, but they are spinning whenever my engine is running!!! hey at least it doesnt give the coolant enough to become too hot! and it blows semi-cool air to where my air intake is at, so that works out, maybe thats why my pvc wasnt getting hot. when i get my new hood painted and everything im turning my old one into a functional cowl induction hood, ill see if i can hook up some sort of air intake for it, but that will help to keep the engine bay cool whenever im driving, and plus anyone who sits in my car can get a good look at my engine! :D

anybody remember that guy wit the Red 3.4LDOHC cutlass, you know the guy wit the red hair and red shoes and a hood spoiler ( :? :? :? )....that guy had said he removed all the EGR componets, plus all the PVC and some other components.

by the way, he also had that GTR badge on the front of the cutlass

anybody remember that guy wit the Red 3.4LDOHC cutlass, you know the guy wit the red hair and red shoes and a hood spoiler ( :? :? :? )....that guy had said he removed all the EGR componets, plus all the PVC and some other components.

hey i noticed in your signature that you have the FFP underdrive pulley, does it add any power? ..worth 100 bucks?

Yeah I remember that dude.