custom cold air intake:FINISHED!

phantomFE3

i finally got my "custom cold air intake" done, total cost of operation: like 5 bucks for a can of spray paint! i got the pvc, metal strapping and the screws from my dad for free

coldairintake.jpg

tell me what you think, you like it? i know its not the best dob but its good enough for me

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• phantomFE3

• Brian P

• per0781

• ismellrealbad

high points of my air intake:

-heat sensor transplanted in

-non-slip metal strapping makeing the filter un-twsitable

-steel foil heat shield

-red painted PVC pipe

I agree with the above. If I do a mod it either has to look completely stock or really good, but I prefer a stock look. Thats why I cut the holes in the air box, you cant even see them if your looking at the motor

Robby

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

"A" for effort. if it works great.... just dont open the hood and sho anyone. kinda looks like a cob job with the metal strap holding the filter on... otherwise not bad though... I really have no room to talk due to the fact that i just dont have the energy to try and make a cold air... spending all my time on building my 11 second family sedan, hehehehehe

- Justin

not bad, but ill tell you one way to make it better. on mine, i used a combo of rivets and a hose clamp to hold the filter in place(pop holes, rivet it in) its still removable, although the whole tube goes. i prevented movement by using a wire tie thru the hose clamp and had it tied off closely. it didnt move at all. :)

P.S. how come only half the tube is painted?

hmmm is that PVC?...:shock: hmm you shouldn't gone with some steel tubing. you'd be lucky if that plastic doesn't melt or weaken over a short period of time.

all of it is painted lol i just wrapped steel foil around half of it on the side where its closest to the exhaust manifold, im going to fleet today to see if i can get some steel tubing, i dont know if all pvc is like this but this isnt the thin kind, i have seen pvc that is 1/8 inch thick, but this is 1/4 inch thick, would that make any difference in the strength factor??? i think my car has all the essentials to be a rice runner :? the only thing it lacks is huge rims (on their way in a couple of days) and clear tail lights and stuff like that, but at least its not a 4-banger, and i didnt put all my stuff on to be cool, i did it so i can have extra performance, because i need all that i can get with this car!!! i think i did a damn good job and if you guys think that it is shitty then fuck you since this is my first time owning a car and i did this by myself ALONE and this is my first time trying something like this, at least i didnt go out and buy a bent piece of steel tubing for 180 bucks and call it a cold air intake, like most of the ricers do

oh and about the movement, if you look real closely you can see a tie-wrap that i put through the metal strapping and tightened it on the support arm for the suspention, its a little white plastic tiewrap if you look closely and the front of the filter, in the lower left corner of the pic

It actually is a pretty good CAI for a first CAI, especially for $5. Obviously it could be better but it isn't that bad, I have definately seen worse. I think if you were to build a box around it to make it so it isn't sucking in all engine air, it would actually be just as good as most CAI you can buy.

my CAI that i made was my first one, I just did some research before to see what would work best, why didn't you just use a 3" metal clamp to hold the air filter in place? Also, my aluminzied steel pipe didn't cost 180 bucks.

the end flange of the air filter goes on the inside of the PVC pipe, last time i checked you can squeeze PVC pipe around a rubber flange on the inside with a 3inch hose clamp, and about the pricing on the intake:

http://rsmracing.com/cutlass.htm <--- go there, look at the thing on the top of the list and then look at the price to the far right, smartass

haha i was actually thinking about using dust tape, then i thought it over and decided that wouldnt work too well and it wouldnt look the best, i could use it for a heat shield if i wrapped it around the pvc!! heh