rear suspension noise

19Cutlass94

yeah, the problem was with the coilovers. There was no bushing where there needed to be one. So I ordered two sets of poly bushings. Im gonna try to cut one set so I dont have to drop the whole assemblies, and take apart both coilovers to fix. If that doesnt work, then Ill have to take the long way to fix it. :(

• 1 month later...

well Ill bump this one up cause I dont wanna start a new thread about the same fucking thing...

Ive still got thise noise in the ass end of teh car. It sounds EXACTLY like a loose strut noise. Only problem here, is that the struts are not loose. In fact I cant find anything that is loose. Ive thought that it could be the inner sway bar hangers where it bolts to the body, but I tightened those with a 2' breaker bar so it shouldnt make that kind of noise at all.

Im really at a loss for what is going on and where this noise is coming from. I still have yet a few things to try, but does anyone have an idea or something? Im getting really tired of this noise and Im about to say fuck it and not deal with the fucking car at all anymore...

For a couple days I was driven crazy by a weird noise coming from the ass. It sounded like a knock. It sounded exactly how my friends Taurus sounded when it needed struts badly. Mine tunred out to be my sub box hitting the rear deck. You've checked that all right?

yeah the box is velcro'ed to the carpet, and theres about 1-2" between all the amps ( which are velcro'ed to the carpet as well ) and the box and the box and the RSTB. It made the noise with the box out as well.

I went through the inner sway bar hangers again today... I tightened where they meet the 'frame rails' with a 2' breaker bar, tightened the center bolt ( connects the top and bottom with the 2 poly bushings ) until the bushings were really getting compressed and I tightened the bracket that goes around the actual sway bar with a 2' breaker bar. NOTHING is loose. Well see what happens now.

Thanks to this thread, I found my rear suspension noise. It was the swaybar cross link. It wasn't loose. It was broken. See pic. I have a temp fix. I loosened the bolt, slid the broken part up and held it in place while I tightened the bolt back. I cranked down on it as much as I could without completely breaking the whole thing. That should be good for about 3 or four miles. Now I need to get a new one :cussing:

Check to see if they are broken. They are very weak, and I didn't even notice that it was actually broken at first.

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.

yeah you set-up is different than mine. Your car was FE3 and you have those original swaybar hangers. My car was FE1 with no sway bar. Heres some pictures of my set-up the way that they say it 'must' be done on cars with no original sway bar

803598_308_full.jpg

heres a close up of the inner hangers

803598_317_full.jpg

yes these are kind of old pictures, but the car is still set-up like this. BTW, im glad you found your problem! Now come find mine damnit! :lol:

Well, sorry I was of no help there, but I found my noise. Trust me when I tell you, I wish I had the answer to your noise. I know how irritating that is. :mad:

Im really interested to know if I bought stock struts for the rear and just swapped them out from the FFP's if I could narrow it down between the FFP's and the swaybar. Although Im getting an alignment tomorrow... so I duno if that will happen. Plus Im kind of sick of pulling those assemblies anyways... but I think thats prolly the only way Im gonna narrow it down :(

The noise probably isn't because anything is loose. With all of the poly, and the suspension as stiff as it is, your probably hearing a rubbing noise. You could possibly try spraying some silicon lubricant at all of the bushings to see if it temporarily clears up the noise. If it does, I guess you could pull it apart and put some suspension grease/lube on the bushings, then put it back together.

Just a thought.

Ooooh! I just remembered. About 2 months ago I got rid of half of the rear-end noise I was hearing. There was a lot when I first got this car. I raised up the rear end and the exhaust hangers were loose all the way up and down. I had to raise the entire car and take some things apart to get to some of those hangers (especially the rear passenger post-muffler) and that got rid of a lot of noise.

All the poly bushings have the grease that BMR sent me. ( its really good shit just for the record ) except the coilover bushings. I doubt that would do much, especially on the top bushings but Ill try it out and see what happens.

Although I think someone must like me! I got the car back from the shop from the 4-wheel alignment today, and first off, it was a good thing all 4 wheels where done. Since the front springs settled, the toe was out of adjustment. So that was fixed. The rear was COMPLETELY out of wack, being 1.9* and it suppose to be somewhere around .4*. I think cause it was like that that the geometry was off and causing something to work the wrong way. Driving it home, the noise is vertually gone!!!!!!!!!!!! It sounds more like the road noise of just going over bumps. VERY seldom does it make that noise. and when it does, its nowhere near as loud as it was before. So right now as far as Im concerned its fixed. Also drives/rides alot better as well. So I think all the work that I did under there paid off.

Jay,

I just installed the addco bar onto my car and it did NOT have a rear sway bar stock and I used the stock parts from a FE3 car...I had to drill a couple holes...but the brackets are in and bolted up!

you used the stock FE3 hangers? So you didnt use the supplied hangers from addco?

Yup....I had to drill two holes on the passenger side rear rear subframe for the bolts to pass through, but I have used the stock hangers like in the pictures above!

I have not driven with the sway bar bolted up and I won't be driving with it for a while. but I just thought I'd let u know I did bolt it up and it seems to fit fine, no problems.

I am using the Birchmount rear leaf if that makes a difference. But like I said unfortunetly I won't know how it drivers for a nother couple months. I did not have the supplied hangers from addco, I used the stock hangers

Im confused... the pictures above are the addco hangers.... Do you have any pics of it on the car?

The picture the other person provided of the stock hangers. I will get pics as soon as I can.

Im confused... the pictures above are the addco hangers.... Do you have any pics of it on the car?

The picture the other person provided of the stock hangers. I will get pics as soon as I can.

ohh ok gotcha! What made you go with those hangers instead of the supplied ones? just curious...