rear suspension noise

19Cutlass94

Ok so lately Ive been having this horrible noise coming from the ass end. I went through the rear suspension twice now, and only thing I found loose was the bolt on top of the rear mounts for the struts. I tightened that down as far as I could possible get it, but yet the noise is still there, just doesnt seem as bad. This only happens over the sharper bumps. Basically it sounds like something banging together, kinda like a loose strut mount, other than using the phrase wll something is loose.... Im prolly going to have to go through this a 3rd time, which is a PITA, but really does anybody have a suggestion as to what this might be? Im just about ready to blow up this fucking car right now. Any imput would be great, thanks

Its bad enough that you can hear it, although its not super loud. You cant feel it at all. Only happens over the sharper/bigger bumps.

seems to be coming from the drivers side... Ill have to check it out this weekend.

You can move the car side to side and hear this. Up and down not so much...

My car made a loud banging sound whenever I went over bumps right before my strut mount let loose.

Did you put new mounts in there when you installed your C/O's?

Im using the FFP mounts with the coilovers. I have the bolt on top of the mount ( the one thats in the trunk ) Pretty fucking tight right now. Only concern about that is I think the poly has popped up, but Im not sure on that.

Well I dropped the two assemblies last night, and the two top poly bushings just fell off. It didnt even look like they were being held on by anything, just kinda stuck there. But the mount is super tight against the strut, and theres no wobble or shimmy even at very high speeds, and during cornering.

so really, nothing is falling apart, and I really dont wanna pull the coilovers out of the car to change the mounts right now. Ill deal with whatever noise it is. For all I know it could be just normal coilover noise....

Yeah, I agree with you. I have some coilover noise as well. Doesn't bother me, but every now and then I check everything over just to be sure.

I went to town last night with a 2foot breaker bar and a 2foot pipe. EVERYTHING IS tight :lol: Ill try a couple things with the springs, like cushion the bottom or something, but other than that Im prolly just gonna keep the radio on or a cd in...

Getting your car aligned at a good shop after lowering will eliminate ths problem, my springs used to come unloaded and ride on the outside rim of the c/o mount.

Getting your car aligned at a good shop after lowering will eliminate ths problem, my springs used to come unloaded and ride on the outside rim of the c/o mount.

o yeah...Kenny, i forgot about that....

Jay, get the car aligned....then call me and we'll talk..i pm'd you my #

The car has been aligned. When I drove it down to have the front springs put in, they did a 4wheel alignment, and I havent touched it since. All the work I did the other night, I touched no bolt that would mess up the alignment.

Adam, Ill give you a call when I can find my phone. I lost it the other night :redface:

I know exactly what that is... i had the same problem on mine... check your sway bar links... one of mine was broken and it sounded like a strut... so i first changed the struts which didnt solve the problem... so i put the car up on the lift and found that the sway bar link was broken and banging together making a noise identical to the strut... so i got the new link MOOG for thirteen dollars and put it on in ten minutes. PROBLEM SOLVED (hopefully)

All the links are good. I took everything ( the center links ) apart yesturday, and I actually loosened them up a little bit because the poly bushings were like crushed. So I loosened them up, put everything back together, and everything is very tight. I can grab a hold of the sway bar and itll move the entire car. Nothing in the rear suspension is loose. Thats what I cant figure out. Im almost positive that its gotta be the sway bar hitting. If its not that then Im out of ideas.

Ok so this is really weird. I can go over a bump slowly, and itll make this noise. If I go over the same bump, at a higher rate of speed, no noise.... so WTF!!?? Im thinking its gotta be this damn sway bar hitting on the inner fender well... but does anyone else have any ideas?

that is weird... i dont suppose you checked your brakes for a loose caliper or cage... and you said you checked the rear sway bar link... its the loop thing with like one bolt through it...

I checked everything. Everything is tight. We just did all the brakes, and everything there is tight. I took apart the center links of the sway bar and I tightened them up as well. I got eveything on the center links as tight as I could possibly get them. Except for the one that connect the top mount and the loop for the sway bar, because if I tighten that up too much, Ill be crushing the poly bushings.

I know its not the strut mounts, because those fuckers are tight. Somehow I have a feeling this is still having something to do with the sway bar. I would absolutly hate to have to take it out, but damn this noise is really pissing me off, especially when I dont feel like listening to the radio. But Ill check out somethinngs tonight, and make a few changes, and see where this gets me.

Another thought is to try checking ur exhaust... on my other car there is a part of the exhaust that is held up by what looks like two really thick rubber bands... on my other car one of them broke and my exhaust was hitting the underneath of my car and making funny noises... so try wiggling your exhaust and see what happens