turbo blanket

brian89gp

Does anybody have a closeup picture of this? Is this a discontinued part yet? And would anybody happen to have one for sale cheap? My turbo has started to melt everything nearby and I need something to solve the problem untill I can afford some Jet Hot coating.

A new one from GM is $300! I had to get a new blanket, so I got a DEI turbo blanket from Summit Racing for $70. It's the same exact thing as the GM one, just a heck of a lot cheaper.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=DEI%2D010113

Not quite exactly the same.

The original GM one uses a mineral fiber insulation, held in by a mesh screen and enclosed with a ceramic coated woven fabric, originally looking like an aluminum shield. Its quite space age in construction. Considering the heat and the temperature drop it could produce, the originals did really well.

The DEI kit uses a much thinner foil covered outer wrap with inner layers made up of header wrap. It gets the job done and is much cheaper and more available, but its not as well fitting and uses wire to keep it in place. Also, the provide enough material in the kit to wrap just about anything under the hood!

I do still have one, actually two, but the second isn't in as great of condition. One is spoken for but not paid for yet, so as the story goes its not sold yet. If you are interested in the second one, especially since you need something I'll sell the second one but I'll have to get a pic of it first so I can decide how much less.

chris

The DEI one?

Yea, you can do a pretty good job of making it fit. I did it to one car but I don't think I got any pictures of the process. Its not exactly OE, but its not bad. We were able to cover the turbo housing, and alot of the downpipe pretty easily. It did a good job of cutting down heat too.

Chris

The DEI is a real turbo blanket. You get a large sheet of silver on oneside and white on the other, a large roll of heat wrapping, and another sheet of something. You'll have to cut the large silver sheet to size and to make a slit for the O2 sensor, but it fits around the turbo. I'll get a picture of mine when I get my car back from the dealer.

The DEI is a real turbo blanket. You get a large sheet of silver on oneside and white on the other, a large roll of heat wrapping, and another sheet of something. You'll have to cut the large silver sheet to size and to make a slit for the O2 sensor, but it fits around the turbo. I'll get a picture of mine when I get my car back from the dealer.

"large sheet"? That description sounds like raw materials to me...

No, getting the TGP blanket to fit on my turbo, have to do some poking around tomorrow.

Oh, ok,. If you don't have the TGP setup I would definitely go with the aftermarket kit. Like I said, it works just as well, its just not as "well made".

I had bought some header wrap for the crossover and downpipe and I had some extra so I just wrapped the exhaust side of the turbo, looks kinda funny but it seems to be working. It no longer feels like a blast furnace when you open up the hood :P

Laugh if you like :lol: but it works great. Heavy duty alum foil $2.50 at your local grocery store. I put what was left of my blanket on top of the trans.

Covered the top and sides of the front manifold, crossover and downpipe.

Way cooler yet it can still expell heat out the bottom.

1-1-4.jpg?i=1047897636

jud