Tire leaking air around rim

roomylumy

I have had a slow leak in one of my tires for a few weeks, and I could never find anything in it. Then yesterday, I had a little more time, and discovered that the air leak is around the rim on the inside. I'm guessing that it is oxidized there and not sealing properly. Can I break the bead, clean it and get to re-seat at home, or is it a longshot without proper tire tools and machinery?

WIthout the tools and the machinery its going to be not fun to fix it. ANd Im guessing that its an aluminum rim, and yes its from the oxidation. If you bring it some place to do this, and tell them to clean the inside seam on the rim, and put bead sealer on, they might charge you $30.

If it is a small spot and you have an air compressor you might be able to fix it at home.

My 75 truck had a bead leak on the out side and I was able to fix it on the truck.

Dang leak was caused by a piece of tape that originally had a tire id bar code on it.

Jacked the truck up till the tire was just off the ground.

Let the air out of the tire and removed the valve.

Drove two wooden wedges between the tire and the rim.

Took forceps and removed the piece of white tape.

Smeared some spark plug grease on the tire and rim where it was leaking.

Removed the wooden wedges and filed with air.