Replacing inner CV boot?

stevegasm

Upon doing brakes and such I notice grease splattered all over the wheel well on the driver side :evil: I assume my CV boot needs a replacin'. Does anyone happen to know where I can get a replacement boot? (Preferably a quickboot, I don't want to have to remove the entire halfshaft, as I dont have a wheel hub remover) I went to autozone and checker today and neither of them have a quickboot in stock. I also checked Summit and they pretty much don't have any CV boots :dunno:

Generally most people just replace the whole shaft. It would be cheaper and better because if you lost enough grease you could've lost the boot.

Also, why do you need a hub puller?

Wouldn't I need to pull the entire wheel hub to get the driveshaft off? If I need to replace the entire shaft would that be a warranty thing? I might just have the Pontiac dealer do it if it's covered under warranty.

I'm pretty sure when I watched my buddies Dad take the driveshafts out of his J-body he doesn't take the hub off...but I remember it involvoed popping the ball joints apart

I'm pretty sure when I watched my buddies Dad take the driveshafts out of his J-body he doesn't take the hub off...but I remember it involvoed popping the ball joints apart

Yes, W's are the same. To change the inner boot you must:

1. Raise vehicle, support, remove wheel.

2. Disconnect lower ball joint.

3. Disconnect outer tie rod end.

4. Pull inner end of axle out of transmission, manuever for access.

5. Remove old boot and clamps, pull off the inner splined end.

6. Clean old grease from tripod joint, remove outboard locking clip.

7. Slide tripod joint up the axle a few inches, remove inboard clip.

8. Slide tripod joint off axle, install new boot.

9. Assembly reverse of removal.

Generally most people just replace the whole shaft. It would be cheaper and better because if you lost enough grease you could've lost the boot.

thats funny since it cost me less then $20 for a new boot, versus $60 for a whole new shaft.

do not go the quick boot route, thats just a bandaid that will end up coming back to haunt you at some point.

I've had good luck with used axle shafts. p.s. usually being old axle shaft i saved when chopping a W.

I think......Can you remove the 4 bolts that hold the wheel bearing to the strut and do it without removing the ball joint? pulling the cv shaft thought the hole in the strut?

thats funny since it cost me less then $20 for a new boot, versus $60 for a whole new shaft.

do not go the quick boot route, thats just a bandaid that will end up coming back to haunt you at some point.

Like I said depending on how much grease is coming out, you might've toasted your shaft already.

So, that's why I would just replace it.

Most part places around here just recommend replacing the axle.

You are wasting time and money on the quick boot. Not only is is a PIA to get the old one off, its even more of a PIA to get the quick boot on. Then you have to hope you didnt get grease in the grooves where you have to glue, and getting the metal straps on tight... forget it. If you go with the quick boot, I bet you will do alot of swearing and in the end you will replace the shaft.

You are wasting time and money on the quick boot. Not only is is a PIA to get the old one off, its even more of a PIA to get the quick boot on. Then you have to hope you didnt get grease in the grooves where you have to glue, and getting the metal straps on tight... forget it. If you go with the quick boot, I bet you will do alot of swearing and in the end you will replace the shaft.

X2 waste of time

I think......Can you remove the 4 bolts that hold the wheel bearing to the strut and do it without removing the ball joint? pulling the cv shaft thought the hole in the strut?

You can, but IMHO it is easier to pop a balljoint, takes but a moment.

Why would you need to pop the balljoint? I know I didn't do that when I pulled the shaft. Not to mention if you don't have the proper balljoint puller, you can kill it.

Anyway, I'd do it right and just replace the boot. It's pretty easy. I took a gamble on an outer joint before. It had no grease, was full of dirt, made popping sounds on full lock, but we were short on money at the time. I took it completely apart and soaked it in lacquer thinner to completely clean it out. I didn't see any significant or serious defects, so I repacked it full of grease and installed a new boot. It ended up good as new and didn't make noise anymore!

Why would you need to pop the balljoint? I know I didn't do that when I pulled the shaft. Not to mention if you don't have the proper balljoint puller, you can kill it.

Anyway, I'd do it right and just replace the boot. It's pretty easy. I took a gamble on an outer joint before. It had no grease, was full of dirt, made popping sounds on full lock, but we were short on money at the time. I took it completely apart and soaked it in lacquer thinner to completely clean it out. I didn't see any significant or serious defects, so I repacked it full of grease and installed a new boot. It ended up good as new and didn't make noise anymore!

The reason I see in popping the ball joint is it allows you to pull the strut tower out making it easier to move the axle out of the tranny.

Wow, I'm surprised that lacquer thinner thing worked!

If your going to replace the whole half shaft make sure the axle seal stays in place, made that mistake last week. Luckily I caught it in time before the tranny fluid ran too low. Having to tear it back down again sucked :evil: :evil:

If you didn't pop the balljoint when you changed a cv axle/boot on a W, then you would have had to unbolt the hub assembly from the strut assembly to remove the axle from the transmission. Those are the only two methods. Unbolting the hub requires removing 4 bolts that are usually rusty and in semi difficult spots, and requires removing the outboard axle nut and pulling the shaft out of the hub end. By popping the ball joint and tie rod end, you loosen two easily accesible nuts. I have never used a special puller. I have never damaged a balljoint or tie rod end. Then you simply maneuver the axle downward and forward, all the while still connected at the outboard end.

Anyway, I'd do it right and just replace the boot.

That was my point...

The reason I see in popping the ball joint is it allows you to pull the strut tower out making it easier to move the axle out of the tranny.

im sorry but if you are going to go through the hassle of changing the boot on an old shaft, why not spend a little more and not have to take everything back apart again. That is what i always do :mrgreen:

Missouri hub bolts are easy to remove, tons easier than popping the ball joint. I just crank the wheel all the way one direction to get the front two bolts and all the way the other way to get the other 2.

I'd be concerned about boogering up the boots on the ball joint. Almost every knuckle I've seen with ball joint still intact has torn boots. You need to replace the entire ball joint if the boot gets any tears or splits.

I also prefer the hub method. I've done it many times when I did alternator changes on LQ1's lol.

Also, this is on a 2nd gen, there are only 3 bolts that hold the hub to the knuckle so one less to worry about. lol