What 2nd gen suspension things fit on a 1sty

Psych0matt

/\ I just realized that one of the local guys has stuff i can probably use (i posted about his part out, and he joined and updated). well, or anything else besides suspension as well, i guess

Theres a local guy parting out a wrecked GTP, and I know some of the suspension parts fit, but i wasnt sure what. i was also wondering what else would be worth grabbing, but not obvious/stupid stuff like shift knob, interior parts, etc. mostly useable good semi-upgrade things

i think we should get something about this into the faq's

the trailing arms are the same, the lateral arms should work, but the sway bars most definitely will not. other than that, nothing is interchangeable suspension-wise.

so I should pick up trailing arms and the lateral arms (also called lateral links?). gotcha. I might need help with what both of these are :biggrin:

whats the difference?

so should I just hold out for gmpp stuff then? I was thinking there was something from a 2nd gen that people were using because there was no aftermarket part :thinking:

OldSkoolGP made a thread about this about a month ago. I have pics of my front and rear suspension in that thread.

You may be able to swap the rear knuckles also. So you'd have a more reliable rear brake. Plus more upgrade possibilities.

IMO, I'd grab as much suspension parts as possible, and actually try to swap some parts over to a 1st gen. I don't think anyone has actually tried to swap many parts over before.

so should I just hold out for gmpp stuff then? I was thinking there was something from a 2nd gen that people were using because there was no aftermarket part :thinking:

no the bmr lateral links and trailing arms and gmpp trailing arms will work. its not worth it to go through all the work of swapping rear stuff IMO cuz the 2nd gen rear brakes arent that much better (if at all vs. 94+) and i havent heard of any rear brake upgrades to 2nd gens that are better than what we can get.

there's nothing worth-while that you could take. nothing up front will fit, and as said the only things from the rear that would fit are the trailing arms and rear control arms (lateral links). I've never heard of the possibility of the knuckles swapping over, but I doubt it.

I think it's about time this info gets put into the FAQ, I've seen it come up a lot lately (not that anyone reads the FAQ anyway)

alright, I just thought there were one or two things that were an "upgrade", but if there are aftermarket things then Ill get those

i dont know of too many people that have the bmr stuff, but i know timg does. unless you have stuff thats bent, i wouldnt bother.

alright, I just thought there were one or two things that were an "upgrade", but if there are aftermarket things then Ill get those

i dont know of too many people that have the bmr stuff, but i know timg does. unless you have stuff thats bent, i wouldnt bother.

Ive got the BMR trailing arms, and I love em

The way the trailing arms and lateral arms and strut connect to the rear knuckle is the same from 1st to 2nd gen. It may not work, but no one has even tried doing it. So don't doubt it until there's proof it will not work.

You can get 12" rear brakes for a 1st gen? Because the 12" GXP rear brakes bolt up to the 2nd gen rear knuckle.....

The way the trailing arms and lateral arms and strut connect to the rear knuckle is the same from 1st to 2nd gen. It may not work, but no one has even tried doing it. So don't doubt it until there's proof it will not work.

You can get 12" rear brakes for a 1st gen? Because the 12" GXP rear brakes bolt up to the 2nd gen rear knuckle.....

i know timg has bmr lateral arms and trailing arms on his 95 MC

wasnt aware of that: pretty cool, but not worth it IMO for another inch or two larger in the rear unless they are dual-piston calipers, then maybe

Even if you could, having 12" rears and 11.25" fronts should royally fuck up your brake balance.

True, but just imagine if it was possible to do a complete GXP brake and suspension swap.

I'd bet that the rear is possible with minimal effort, but the front would be difficult at best. I'd love to get my hands on a GXP suspension and brake setup to find out. Are our front strut inserts the same size as those the Grand Prix guys were using for their custom Koni conversion? The 12" front brakes didn't fit (I have tried), but the 13" rotors may be far enough out to clear the support on the strut.

Tim