(Transmission?) noise -edit

Supreme Cutlass

Several times when I shift into gear, my transmission makes the sound like metal sliding against metal. It's not like a quick clunk, more like a sss*chunk* as if the transmission is slowly sliding a physical gear against another one. Any explanations? The transmission is a 3T40 (TH-125C).

The only thing that really functions poorly is the TCC, no slipping or what have you. I've changed the fluid and filter twice since I've had the car though just dropping the pan. Even though it functions fine, it makes noise like no other. When it's hot outside it sounds like I have a supercharger (that's the pump, correct?) and one thing that's been there since I've had the car is this sound that sounds like marbles in a coffee can, nobody's been able to tell me what that is though... Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Btw I've only had the car for a year now, but it's been subject to ALOT of wear in the past.

I love GM transmissions. even when they are toast they still go.

are you up for doing the transmission yourself? you have a 3.1 right? I would get into swapping to a 4t60. I believe all you need is the 4t60, both axle shafts and maybe the bracket between the engine and tranny on the passenger side?

I'm all for replacing it, I'm just up for the cost of getting a replacment transmission. I had a free 3t40, but since I was going to wait until my current one failed, it ended up sitting in the garage until my mom threw it out.. :confused:

Btw, should I get a 4t60? or go for the extra effort in putting in a 4t60-E?

what engine? year?

if 90-92 3.1 just do a 4t60 and shop around. You should be able to get one with a 30 day j/y warrenty for $200 or less.

when my next tranny goes... time to investigate 4t65e myself! ...or 6 speed G6 tranny FTMFW!

I would do the simple thing and go with a 4t60... I think the prom chip and the wiring remain the same, unless the tranny connector only changes.

if you try a 4t60e, you will need to change the underhood harness and swap the 1227727 ecm with prom for the 16149396 PCM with it's prom. otherwise you will need the cv axles as well.

As for the marbles rattling in the coffee can, my Ciera makes that very noise. I always assumed it was a worn bearing or something on the power steering pump. Mine comes from the passenger side though, so double check where that noise is coming from!

Allright, I had a new development of this noise, and now I'm not sure at all it has to do with the transmission. I was backing out in the school parking lot, and when I tried to brake, I heard that noise and at the same time I had no brake pressure :willynilly:. Let off the brake pedal and pushed again, and I stopped normally. Now, obviously it seems to be a problem with the brakes, and I guess I thought it was just the transmission because I hold the brake when I shift into gears :confused: Any suggestions? what could do this in the braking system. (mods feel free to move this as it progresses)

My Lumina does that all the time now that you mention a metal to metal grinding sound with the brakes....

It's coming from the right front brake on my car...dunno about you, or if it is even related...but I could see how that sound could be mistaken for a tranny sound!!...

When it happens, can you almost feel the noise inside the car?? I can...it's almost like something isn't in line with the brake pad and rotor, but it will only do it in reverse, and only do it for one revolution of the rotor..and then if you keep backing up it'll stop and be nice and smooth...

Dunno if that helps anything or not

I played around with it when I pulled into the driveway to see if I could get it to reproduce the symtoms. Turns out that it does it on startup without my foot on the brake. When I hold my foot down and start the car, it doesn't make the noise, but right as I release the pedal it makes the noise, and if you push down as it makes the noise you can feel resistance in the brake pedal. This was all with the transmission in park.

Ok

1) Do you have ABS?

2) Maybe its vacuum related. I have a vacuum leak somewhere, and when I use the brakes my engine sometimes does weird things (cuts out, revs, etc)

Yes, I have ABS and I'm guessing that's what it has to be. I'm not sure how it could be a vacuum leak since the noise only happens after I start the car...