Rear Defroster not working?

jeremy

I push the rear defroster knob and the light comes on but nothing seems to be working on the rear window. Any ideas on what might be the problem or how/where to begin troubleshooting this?

Thanks in advance.

check the little wire that goes to the back window, should be a little clip like thing that attatches somewhere on the grid, most likely up top in the corner

x2. After that see if the grid is getting power by using a multimeter.

By chance you check the fuses?

By chance you check the fuses?

I haven't check anything yet, it's been way too cold. I didn't think that it would be a fuse though because the light in the dash lights up

Yeah, worth a shit though.

check the little wire that goes to the back window, should be a little clip like thing that attatches somewhere on the grid, most likely up top in the corner

I did go out and check it before it got dark out, there are two clips and the one of the driver side has came loose from it's mounting point. I will have to swing by a parts store and pick up a defroster repair kit. In the mean time, I was able to wedge the clip behind the plastic trim piece to hold it in place and the defroster is working now :lol: :thumb:

Hmm... sounds like my buddies 05 Taurus. He stopped in while I was at work today with his rear defroster not working. So, I first grabbed my multimeter and went to the back window to check voltage. His has a clip on each side. So, I put the one test lead on one side, then went to the other side, only to find that that it had actually broke off. I was able to measure the voltage, and sure enough it was there, so he needs to get it fixed.

Can a rear defroster be ineffective in very cold temps? (such as 0ish).

It seems like mine works, but sucks lately.

No it just takes longer to warm up

my 94 cutty works fine but sometimes i think it doesnt time off like its supposed to. instead it gets stuck on and i hear a funny noise from in the dash :mad:

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.

I will have to swing by a parts store and pick up a defroster repair kit.

Is there actually a kit for this? I just made one of my clips come off yesterday when i installed my new 6x9's. i was thinking a saudering gun would do the trick.

There is a kit, rear window defroster repair kit. Its like this glue that has liquid copper in it. When it dries so does the copper, and the rear defrost works. I have seen it in AZ and AA befor, but not sure if they still carry it.

i bought one of those kits today, $10 at cut rate!!! and to top it off, i dont think it worked!

i followed the instructions to a T and it didnt stick after 1 minute of holding it. so i duct taped it and im hoping its dry in the morning. yay for ghetto duct tape on my car.

i bought one of those kits today, $10 at cut rate!!! and to top it off, i dont think it worked!

i followed the instructions to a T and it didnt stick after 1 minute of holding it. so i duct taped it and im hoping its dry in the morning. yay for ghetto duct tape on my car.

I've used them before and they do work, but like already mentioned....they don't do well when you are trying to do it in colder temps